Participant & Registered Guest Favorites folder has a SHARE link: sell not give away

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited May 21, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So I am trying to sell images here and I have sent out many links to my testers. One thing I see is when someone adds images to their favorites folder, that folder has a link to be able to share FREE images to the world.

I have EASY SHARE turned off as well as EXTERNAL links OFF.

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong here?

thanks in advance

Comments

• vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    So I am trying to sell images here and I have sent out many links to my testers. One thing I see is when someone adds images to their favorites folder, that folder has a link to be able to share FREE images to the world.

I have EASY SHARE turned off as well as EXTERNAL links OFF.

Can any one tell me what I am doing wrong here?

thanks in advance

The code kills the share button BUT... This is a serious condition to me...

This is the reply I got from the heroes. So now the SHARE button is disabled sitewide? So I don't understand what they mean by anyone who ISN'T logged in? Does this mean anyone logging in to the gallery can see the SHARE button or just administrative folks like me?

I don't understand what he means by going to the customizer and I'll be able to see the SHARE button.

Why if the EASY SHARE is turned off and the LINKS button is set to off that we still have to dink around with this.

Doesn't this greatly undermine trying to sell something through the PRO account if they can go to the favorites folder and send links to themselves?

Hi Vincent,
    Thanks for getting back to us.
    You can use this code in the CSS box of the advanced customizer to hide the share button in all your galleries.
    .notLoggedIn #shareButton {display: none;}
    To get to the advanced customizer go to the Customize tab of the Control Panel then click the edit link after the advanced customizer line. You will still see the share button but any one not logged in when visiting your site will not see the share button.
    If you have any questions please ask.

Anthony
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    The code kills the share button BUT... This is a serious condition to me...

This is the reply I got from the heroes. So now the SHARE button is disabled sitewide? So I don't understand what they mean by anyone who ISN'T logged in? Does this mean anyone logging in to the gallery can see the SHARE button or just administrative folks like me?

I don't understand what he means by going to the customizer and I'll be able to see the SHARE button.

Why if the EASY SHARE is turned off and the LINKS button is set to off that we still have to dink around with this.

Doesn't this greatly undermine trying to sell something through the PRO account if they can go to the favorites folder and send links to themselves?

Hi Vincent,
    Thanks for getting back to us.
    You can use this code in the CSS box of the advanced customizer to hide the share button in all your galleries.
    .notLoggedIn #shareButton {display: none;}
    To get to the advanced customizer go to the Customize tab of the Control Panel then click the edit link after the advanced customizer line. You will still see the share button but any one not logged in when visiting your site will not see the share button.
    If you have any questions please ask.

Anthony
    SmugMug Support Hero
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about, but the Share button is configured to always show when you are logged in so you can more easily do site maintenance. It's visibility to normal viewers is controlled by the Easy Share settings in gallery settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 21, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about, but the Share button is configured to always show when you are logged in so you can more easily do site maintenance. It's visibility to normal viewers is controlled by the Easy Share settings in gallery settings.

Well Yes JFriend....
    That is what I would think.

The share button is turned off in the SITE SETTINGS: Easy Share: NO; External Links: NO.

When the client goes to her FAVORITES FOLDER- there is the SHARE button and when you click it up comes a window with the various images size links to down load.

The heroes repeatedly say that the SHARE button is controlled by the gallery settings.

I am very careful to disagree with anything you guys say because you guys are the saviors of this product and withOUT you guys we would ALL be SCREWED because the sites are not JUST ADD WATER.

I needed tweaking to get my site the way I want it and once you learn the little QUIRKS about SMUG MUG you canlive with it forever.

It is usually user error and I cannot explain why the client can still see the SHARE buttom and still see links to download images......

BUTT, of course, I figured it out......The FAVORITES FOLDER have their own SETTINGS and YOU"D better NOT forget to go back and re-set those settings or YOU WILL HAVE an IMAGE LEAK!

So now the heroes were kind enough to send ma code that kills SHARE button site wide.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2011
    Well Yes JFriend....
    That is what I would think.

The share button is turned off in the SITE SETTINGS: Easy Share: NO; External Links: NO.

When the client goes to her FAVORITES FOLDER- there is the SHARE button and when you click it up comes a window with the various images size links to down load.

The heroes repeatedly say that the SHARE button is controlled by the gallery settings. I am very careful to disagree with anything you guys say because you guys are the saviors of this product and with you guys we all would be SCREWED.

It is usually user error and I cannot explain why the client can still see the SHARE buttom and still see links to download images......

So now the heroes were kind enough to send ma code that kills SHARE button site wide.
    If it is indeed showing in places where it shouldn't show, then a bug report should get filed so the problem gets fixed. Folks would need access to a link to see the problem though to get a good bug report filed. Hiding the Share button site-wide is kind of a brute force hack that may remove functionality that could be useful in other parts of the site.

FYI, if external links are off, the share button won't do much good anyway because the links it provides won't render images to anyone who's browser hasn't already seen the images (browser cache).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 21, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »

WELL I have FOUND THE PROBLEM which isn't really a problem but more a failure to know amything about the under pinnings of this SMUG MUG PRO SITE.

The FAVORITES GALLERIES EACH have settings all their own. So if 30 family members decide to register and create a favorites folder I have to go in and adjust the settings on each and every gallery.

I also notice , and I don't know if this only in owner view but I don't see packages in the buy section.....

this is becoming a very big headache.