Options

Land of fire and ice

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited June 20, 2011 in Journeys
Hello everyone!

a short while ago, one of my dreams came true when my girlfriend came over from Taiwan (thats not china btw) and we both went to Iceland. Here are some photos of iceland, i hope you guys like them.
iceland-7-of-99-XL.jpg
1) We tried to get out of Reykjavik as soon as possible. It's cute but iceland is best enjoyed out in the open nature. Only an hour or so out of reykjavik the country becomes real empty with great views.

iceland-4-of-99-XL.jpg
2) We started our journey with the golden circle, where a lot of beautiful spots are located. This is Gullfoss or golden waterfall which was really impressive

iceland-5-of-99-XL.jpg
3) After a long day driving (and some lovely lobsters) we called it a day and drove back to our beds. The sun was setting over the road, a bus was taking tourists back to their beds too.

iceland-10-of-99-XL.jpg
4) The next day we strapped under our iceboots and went for a glacier walk on the solheimajökull

iceland-15-of-99-XL.jpg
5) It wasn't exactly a 4x4 but our 'whitey' got us to all our destinations with all the freedom we wanted. Because Iceland is so empty you can just 'park' your car on the road and jump out to take some photos. As you can imagine that happened very frequently - making travel very slow on occasion :rofl

iceland-22-of-99-X2.jpg
6) Near the town of Vik we stumbled upon this wonderful black beach. The white waves comming ashore on the black sand had such an artistic beauty that i could have stayed there forever.

iceland-16-of-99-XL.jpg
7) Iceland has - because of its vulcanic activity - some beautiful rock formations too. This one on the beach was particularly striking.

iceland-24-of-99-XL.jpg
8) As we headed further east, the landscape kept changing drastically. Within the timespan of a few hours we drove through strange green hills, seas of green moss rocks and..

iceland-41-of-99-XL.jpg
9) .. the black desert.. miles and miles of black sand and complete open space made for a surreal landscape. Sort of like driving on the moon.

iceland-42-of-99-XL.jpg
10) This is NOT a black and white photo.. :huh

iceland-103-XL.jpg
11) Swartifoss was a wonder to behold, especially with the rock formations.

iceland-43-of-99-XL.jpg
12) Because my girlfriend was with me, i got some shots of myself taking photos too! My mom doesnt like this one that much :scratch

iceland-33-of-99-XL.jpg
13) further east, a lake filled with icebergs was a wonderful sight. This lake lies next to the glacier where the Grimsvotn vulcano just erupted yesterday. Hope everyone is ok :cry

iceland-34-of-99-XL.jpg
14) A friendly seal came to take a peek!

iceland-50-of-99-XL.jpg
15) Because we visited Iceland in may, all the glaciers were beginning to melt so it was a waterfall galore! This is skogafoss.

iceland-58-of-99-XL.jpg
16) The vulcanic activity also provides the Icelandic people with a lot of natural hotsprings, filled with blue algae. The grass around these pools was extremely green.

iceland-67-of-99-XL.jpg
17) Its not advisable to jump into every pool you see (some are 80-100 degrees celsius! = boiling!) but when you ask the locals, you can find some pretty nice rivers to rest your sore legs in :D

iceland-69-of-99-XL.jpg
18) on the west coast near Ytri Tunga we found a seal colony with some sleepy seals.

iceland-73-of-99-XL.jpg
19) There are also a lot of bird colonies along the coast where thousands of birds come together. A spectacular sight!

iceland-75-of-99-XL.jpg
20) The loneliness and emptiness can be gripping but for someone living in a city in a crowded country (Holland) it was magical to be the only living soul for a miles.

iceland-76-of-99-XL.jpg
21) Iceland is a predominantly Christian country and they build some wicked churches!

iceland-87-of-99-XL.jpg
22) A typical fishermans town in Iceland

iceland-90-of-99-XL.jpg
23) The house of Erik the red , not to be confused with Erik the Bloodaxe. This shows how early inhabitants of Iceland lived, often miles and miles away from their closest neighbour. The Icelandic history is full of beautiful sagas about the great first pioneers that were explorers, farmers, poets, thiefs, murderers and warriors in one. I can highly recommend picking up a copy of Egil's saga for example.

iceland-105-XL.jpg
24) We made one last stop at this waterfall in the west (the water actually comes from underneath the earth, through the porous lava stones!) and then it was time to head home.

I am sure i will be back to this beautiful place with its vast open spaces and nice people. Where around every corner is another beautiful sight. Hope you guys enjoyed it, C&C is, as always, much appreciated. Never too old to learn :wink
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Great shots! I would like to go there someday. Thanks.
  • Options
    DarrakDarrak Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful! I love the sense of motion in the first shot and the deep blues in the later shots. I'll have to add a visit to Iceland to my "bucket List".
  • Options
    chuck54chuck54 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Nice work. I'm especially drawn to #s 4, 11, 14, 17, 21 and 23.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum
  • Options
    HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Hallo Chrissiebeez NL,

Wonderful series. Iceland is indeed a fascinating country and an absolute paradise for landscape photographers!
    Your trip brought back many memories...

Bedankt!

Cheers - Herman
    My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    A very well done series.....almost.....where's your girlfriend/travel companion.....
    all you let us see was her feeet....I am guessing those are hers and yours :~}}

Well done!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    @ Travel: Thanks! you should! mwink.gif

@ Darrak: Thank you so much!

@ chuck54: Thanks! it was hard to choose my favorites for in here :D

@ Herman Auer: Your welcome haha! Im definitely going back, so much to see there! (and only 3 hours away from here!)

@ Art Scott: Thanks, she's in there but especially for you: :D

iceland-91-of-99-XL.jpg
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I enjoyed your series a whole bunch. Thanks for taking the time to post it!
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    It really looks like an amazing trip... Great photos, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    A great looking lady....she has a great smile and eyes.....Thank you for posting.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Some really beautiful photos. Thanks so much for posting. Iceland has been on the 'must get there one day' list for some time and these photos are helping push it up the list... Love shots #9 and #10....
  • Options
    spacefuzzspacefuzz Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    lovely, 11 and 15 are my favorites
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
  • Options
    riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    beautiful country and beautiful photos :)
  • Options
    TEAMKENTEAMKEN Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    thanks for sharing.
    I enjoyed viewing them very much.
    Such a fabulous shooting location.
    Cheers, Ken
    Canon-Elinchrom-Skyports
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Great stuff here. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    mmmmmust go back to Iceland... :D

fond memories of a wild and beautiful land - thanks for sharing the lovely images :)
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Great job, thanks for sharing. added in wishlist to visit :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Great shots Iceland is on my list of places I want to visit.
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Awesome set! I really like the waterfall and the Black desert shots.
  • Options
    Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    the eighth picture is very cool
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Well done Christopher! Enjoyed them a lot! Especially 8 & 23, the large lonely space. I'm off to read Egil's saga!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Makes me want to go visit as well. Great shots! I especially like the beach shot (#6).