Spring Music Concert - C&C Please

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited May 24, 2011 in People
Here are some from the spring music concert. The venue was a horribly lit middle school gym, which was made worse (if you can imagine such a thing) by leaving the door open and letting this swath of hard sunlight blast through. Given the traffic on the floor it didn't seem practical to set up light stands so I popped 2 SB900's on PW's onto electrical conduit in the corners of the building on the same side of the gym that the bleachers were on (one in each corner pointed backward and bounced out of the corners - set flash zoom to 12mm in an attempt to get as broad and soft a light as I could). I have unlimited access to this venue so any ideas on better ways to light this cavern for this type of event would be greatly appreciated as well as any other C&C you might have.

Thanks for looking

1)
i-2sKwJGC-L.jpg

2)
i-P72jPNJ-L.jpg

3)
i-hsNdVPn-L.jpg

4)
i-NxDQTdf-L.jpg

5)
i-cdcmNFj-L.jpg

6)
i-XFWbqj9-L.jpg

7)
i-f3Z9S29-XL.jpg

Thanks again for your time and effort.
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I think these came out really well! thumb.gif

For me, shooting these events is all about fast glass and high ISOs. Speaking from the POV of my "other life" as a performer, I really don't like flash being used - ghastly as the lighting often is in school venues, I know that when I'm onstage I find the pop of flash super-distracting (why professional venues ban it entirely, even in rehearsal situations). I thus avoid using it unless there is a VERY compelling reason (and I have formal permission to do so from TPTB). I realise that my POV isn't entirely a photographic one (and from the perspective of getting the best photographs, how I WISH I could use flash in some of the nasty venues I shoot!!) so YMMV. Also, I think flash may bother kids in a gym less than adults on a stage, but just putting that out there as my 2c ... :D
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    I think these came out really well! thumb.gif

For me, shooting these events is all about fast glass and high ISOs. Speaking from the POV of my "other life" as a performer, I really don't like flash being used - ghastly as the lighting often is in school venues, I know that when I'm onstage I find the pop of flash super-distracting (why professional venues ban it entirely, even in rehearsal situations). I thus avoid using it unless there is a VERY compelling reason (and I have formal permission to do so from TPTB). I realise that my POV isn't entirely a photographic one (and from the perspective of getting the best photographs, how I WISH I could use flash in some of the nasty venues I shoot!!) so YMMV. Also, I think flash may bother kids in a gym less than adults on a stage, but just putting that out there as my 2c ... :D

Thanks for the input Diva. I'm glad that you liked them.:ivar

As for the flash, I wasn't all that worried about it as there were numerous parents flashing them to death with that abomination we all know and love that seems to come with every point and shoot camera. Also, I was taking pictures at the specific request of the music director. That being said I do see your point and would approach it differently if this were some big venue professional event.

But since this is something that happens twice a year in this venue(the music concert) not to mention numerous other events, I am hoping to dial in the lighting so that the parents and teachers that seem very interested in the photographs will have something good to look at afterwards.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Thanks for the input Diva. I'm glad that you liked them.:ivar

As for the flash, I wasn't all that worried about it as there were numerous parents flashing them to death with that abomination we all know and love that seems to come with every point and shoot camera. Also, I was taking pictures at the specific request of the music director. That being said I do see your point and would approach it differently if this were some big venue professional event.

All good points. Also, I think that shooting in a gym is different than in a theatre/concert hall, and thus it's not the same kind of problem as somebody popping off two powerful flashes from a (darkened) house. I do accept that my "from the stage" POV isn't the most "photo-friendly", but I always feel I need to voice it, if only to put out there what it's like from the other side :D

Again, I'll say that you got some terrific shots. What kind of glass were you using? You really nailed it with these and I'm sure people will be very pleased.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Again, I'll say that you got some terrific shots. What kind of glass were you using? You really nailed it with these and I'm sure people will be very pleased.

These were shot on my d300s and a Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8

At the moment I still have only the one body so I have to swap lenses which wastes soooooooo much time and opportunity (there were several shots I wanted oh so badly but for which I had the wrong lens on at the time), but until this hobby can generate a least a bit of cash that's the way it has to be.