Comments

• Options
    NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    nice shots. I like the 1st one.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I like #1 as well. I like the interspersion of the people and the columns. Nice conversion to B&W as well. May I ask what your conversion process was?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 23, 2011
    I like both of them. thumb.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Thanks guys...

Brad, I'm afraid I don't have a specific process for my b&w conversions. For what it's worth, I do everything in Aperture. But to the extent I do have a workflow, I'll normally make a number of adjustments to the shot while still in colour including exposure, some overall contrast, recovery of shadows and some highlights. If I intend to convert to b&w, I won't worry about white balance or whether I'm over saturating some colours. It's about getting it to a point that I know where I want the white and black points in the image as well as how much texture I want to have. After that, I'll flick the b&w filter. Once in b&w, I'll work on the mid-contrast levels as well as the various colour filters used in b&w mode. For example, skin and faces tend to have red and green tones.

But all in all, I'll work with an image until it satisfies me. Nice deep blacks with plugging only where I want it or it can't be avoided. Bright skin and faces but avoiding blown noses or checks. Texture and contrastiness (is that a word?) on flat surfaces. I'll normally put it away at that point and come back in an hour or two to see if it still feels good.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Understand what you mean though about just needing some time away from it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Great shots, Michswiss. The B&W effect suited these images perfectly. I also like photo #1. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 24, 2011
    two very nice shots. #1 is a real winner!!!

thumb.gif

• Options
    BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I think both of these shots are great!

I'd love to learn how to do authentic looking B&Ws like these.

Bruce
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Both are excellent, and the B/W is well done. The first is fun with one person per slot, but the second is much better photographically in my opinion. The symmetry of the bench with 2 people each side. The depth of field is just right giving almost a 3D effect. The leading lines of the pavers....perfectly seen and captured. thumb.gif
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I think the second one is really something... The young, carefree, couple sitting there letting the rain fall on them... And then the older, more experienced, more careful older couple covering themselves..
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    absolutely masterful and gorgeous
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Both great shots, but my favorite is #2, it quietly says reams about volumes of things.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I'm glad you all liked the shots. Last Sunday was one of the first times I've been out in ages with the sole intent of getting an image or two. It felt good, even if I was fairly sore by the end of the day.