Options

Mega#12 (Withered, Weathered or Worn)... thoughts pls?

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited May 29, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are some tries... I have a couple of favorites...

1. This Old Fence
P1050779-wx-worn-wilted.jpg

2. Garden Shed Door
P1050738-weathered2.jpg

3. Garden Shed Front
P1050738-weathered1.jpg

4. Garden Shed - slightly desaturated
P1050738-weathered1-60desatur.jpg

5. This old Shed - Cropped panoramic versionP1050738crop.jpg

6. This old Shed - Cropped panoramic desaturated version
P1050738crop-desat.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Hi Jenn! To me, the old fence has the most potential....is it close by so that you can photograph it with different light qualities?
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    Hi Jenn! To me, the old fence has the most potential....is it close by so that you can photograph it with different light qualities?

yes... I can do that. What do you suggest?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    I'd suggest trying it early in the morning and an hour or so before sunset, shooting from different angles....you could get some interesting shadow play with the textures. And if the shadows don't work, a cloudy day can "soften" a texture very pleasingly.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 23, 2011
    I agree that the fence looks like a great subject with all that texture. Leah has made great suggestions....
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2011
    I'd suggest trying it early in the morning and an hour or so before sunset, shooting from different angles....you could get some interesting shadow play with the textures. And if the shadows don't work, a cloudy day can "soften" a texture very pleasingly.
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I agree that the fence looks like a great subject with all that texture. Leah has made great suggestions....

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies ... I wish I could get the photo I'd like to get from that fence, but no luck on the right lighting yet. Had rain all day today and that lighting sucks! lol

I did try something different tho.. tell me what you think... The names are not set in stone.

1. Withered Beauty ...

P1050823branches-inverted.jpg

2. Snowy Dreams

P1050823branches-filmgrain.jpg

3. Rainy Day

P1050823graphicpenonly.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I still like the fence best. My camera does not do very well in low light, but I would try it anyway. You may find that the rain and clouds brings out the texture.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I still like the fence best. My camera does not do very well in low light, but I would try it anyway. You may find that the rain and clouds brings out the texture.

I have a hard time seeing what others see. Like, I think the fence image is kind of plain and out of focus, but what I did with the branches with withered leaves 'pops' for me. Can you (or others) tell me what is wrong with the branches that make them not a good image for the challenge, and why the fence with dead vines is better? I don't know what to look for... headscratch.gif

I get frustrated with myself because my hands shake ... I don't mean just a little when I try to take a photo... but they have small tremors in them when I turn my hands a certain way. If people like fuzzy and out of focus .. I'm THERE! :)

What is the goal in a great photo? Something must be wrong in how I see things... I think an image is great, but then others will think another image that is fuzzy and out of focus (to me Laughing.gif) is great (as in my fence image is fuzzy and out of focus to me). When is fuzzy and out of focus "right"?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    update:

I found 2 images that I took yesterday evening that kind of had potential. One was a little too out of focus.. the other one was much better.

Do either of these look better, improved, hit the nail on the head? Laughing.gif

Here are 2 versions of it:

4. With Death Comes New Life

P1050818withered1large.jpg

5. Cropped version of #4
    P1050818withered1cropped.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I'm leaning toward #5. (Cropped version of #4). I like the peeling paint.

I can't remember, do you have a tripod? If not you really should try to get one it will help a lot. You can get the at Walmart for about $20.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    I'm leaning toward #5. (Cropped version of #4). I like the peeling paint.

I can't remember, do you have a tripod? If not you really should try to get one it will help a lot. You can get the at Walmart for about $20.

thanks .. I've thought about getting a tripod off and on, but wasn't sure it'd be worth the money spent.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    I think tripods are a great help! You can set up your shot and use the timer on your camera. That's what I do when using the tripod - especially in low light situations. Good luck with it!
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I have a hard time seeing what others see. Like, I think the fence image is kind of plain and out of focus, but what I did with the branches with withered leaves 'pops' for me. Can you (or others) tell me what is wrong with the branches that make them not a good image for the challenge, and why the fence with dead vines is better? I don't know what to look for... headscratch.gif

I like the withered leaves, too. At the end, it comes down to what people like and what people don't.

There are some classical design "rules" -- you can find them lots of places, but I like the description here.

I tend to like the things that go more towards those design rules, but that's just me.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    thanks .. I've thought about getting a tripod off and on, but wasn't sure it'd be worth the money spent.

With your tremors is is a basic necessity. And when you get one, set you timer to 2 seconds then hit the shutter. That will prevent the picture from being blurred by you pressing the shutter. I think you will like it and your camera, if I am correct is small enough that it doesn't need the expensive super sturdy ones. I have 2 cheap ones, one for in the house and one in the car.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    I like the withered leaves, too. At the end, it comes down to what people like and what people don't.

There are some classical design "rules" -- you can find them lots of places, but I like the description here.

I tend to like the things that go more towards those design rules, but that's just me.

Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it. You like the withered leaves? :D Which one? I really enjoy images that have an unexpected effect on them. Oh.. and I read the 'rules' link you provided and it was alot of good information.. some I had read before, but some I hadn't read.

What do you see in the withered leaves image that makes it good? I'm still learning what to look for...
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    I think tripods are a great help! You can set up your shot and use the timer on your camera. That's what I do when using the tripod - especially in low light situations. Good luck with it!

I'm curious about what are the best settings, on average, for low light? Shutter speed... stuff like that? I keep trying different settings, and usually just end up using a basic setting with my flash. headscratch.gif
    With your tremors is is a basic necessity. And when you get one, set you timer to 2 seconds then hit the shutter. That will prevent the picture from being blurred by you pressing the shutter. I think you will like it and your camera, if I am correct is small enough that it doesn't need the expensive super sturdy ones. I have 2 cheap ones, one for in the house and one in the car.

One for in the car? Like a short tripod? I may just break down and buy a cheapy and see if I get better images. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    One for in the car? Like a short tripod? I may just break down and buy a cheapy and see if I get better images. :D

I keep one in the car for when I am out and need it. That way I don't have to drag one in and out of the house everytime I go out... but that's me. The house one I have set up by a window near a bird feeder a lot of the time.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    I keep one in the car for when I am out and need it. That way I don't have to drag one in and out of the house everytime I go out... but that's me. The house one I have set up by a window near a bird feeder a lot of the time.
    ahh ok .. that makes sense :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    I'm curious about what are the best settings, on average, for low light? Shutter speed... stuff like that? I keep trying different settings, and usually just end up using a basic setting with my flash.

You asked this question after quoting my last post, so here are a few thoughts. Hope they are helpful!

If you do get a tripod and use your camera's timer (set to 2 seconds), you don't need to worry too much about shutter speed because you aren't touching the camera to get your shot. I like to use Aperture priority for general landscape shots and often use an aperture of f/8. I try to go with ISO 100 when there is good light or I am using a tripod. I've found that my camera does a pretty good job of figuring out how long to have the shutter open to get the right exposure. If you can set your camera to auto bracket your shots, that might also be helpful.

It is hard to give any set formula for camera settings because the situation can vary a great deal. Not sure whether this was helpful to you, but I tried. :D

I've enjoyed seeing what you post here and the special effects you use with some of them - like the tree branch with withered leaves!

Gretchen
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate it. You like the withered leaves? :D Which one? I really enjoy images that have an unexpected effect on them. Oh.. and I read the 'rules' link you provided and it was alot of good information.. some I had read before, but some I hadn't read.

What do you see in the withered leaves image that makes it good? I'm still learning what to look for...

I like #2. It puts the focus on the shapes -- the long thin branches, and the rounder, fuller, but decaying leaves. I like how you don't have to struggle to work out what you should be looking at, but there is still a lot there to figure out. You start looking at the shapes, and then you start to figure out how that leaf must be curled to look like that. It works at an immediate level, where you see the shapes against a neutral background, but at deeper levels too, as you start to puzzle over individual leaves.

In a nutshell, your eye doesn't wonder where to look, but it does have to wonder a bit what it is looking at. I think that's a good tension.

I also like #5, but crop it even more. Put the sprout at the "power point" of the rule of thirds, in the bottom left. Boost the contrast a bit to bring out all the details in the fence, and boost the green saturation to pull out the sprout.

My learning over the last year has been: "Crop it tighter." That has almost always made for better photos.

All that being said, please please PLEASE don't take any of it as more than one guy's opinion. Making art is fundamentally a personal expression, and if you are doing something to meet someone else's requirements, then... well, it just ain't right. If you see the vision, go for it! We'll catch up to your vision eventually!
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    I'm curious about what are the best settings, on average, for low light? Shutter speed... stuff like that? I keep trying different settings, and usually just end up using a basic setting with my flash. headscratch.gif

Jenn, it just occurred to me that it might have been more helpful to post some links here instead trying to share my approach....

Get great photos in low light

This one is talking more about night photography, but may be helpful to you.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I think I prefer the cropped version of #4. I'd try to make sure that the green sprig is placed at the lower left third marker per the rule of thirds. You can check that here: http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/photo-adjuster.html
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    I like #2. It puts the focus on the shapes -- the long thin branches, and the rounder, fuller, but decaying leaves. I like how you don't have to struggle to work out what you should be looking at, but there is still a lot there to figure out. You start looking at the shapes, and then you start to figure out how that leaf must be curled to look like that. It works at an immediate level, where you see the shapes against a neutral background, but at deeper levels too, as you start to puzzle over individual leaves.

In a nutshell, your eye doesn't wonder where to look, but it does have to wonder a bit what it is looking at. I think that's a good tension.
    I like what you said about #2. It makes sense to me. When I was playing with the effects it just kind of jumped out at me.. it "POPPED" ... I like images that make my eyes go ... WOW even if for a brief moment and I'm not sure why it did... lol

I also like #5, but crop it even more. Put the sprout at the "power point" of the rule of thirds, in the bottom left. Boost the contrast a bit to bring out all the details in the fence, and boost the green saturation to pull out the sprout.

My learning over the last year has been: "Crop it tighter." That has almost always made for better photos.

All that being said, please please PLEASE don't take any of it as more than one guy's opinion. Making art is fundamentally a personal expression, and if you are doing something to meet someone else's requirements, then... well, it just ain't right. If you see the vision, go for it! We'll catch up to your vision eventually!

I thought about cropping #5 closer, but just couldn't decide if it looked good enough or not. I'm afraid if I boost the contrast even more it'll look fake and too exposed. I had to boost it some already to get the parts I wanted in focus. Maybe I'm just not satisfied with what I personally am wanting from myself... if you know what I mean.

I took some other photos tonite and did a closer crop on it. Let me know what you think if you get time.

Thanks for your thoughts. It helps.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    You asked this question after quoting my last post, so here are a few thoughts. Hope they are helpful!

If you do get a tripod and use your camera's timer (set to 2 seconds), you don't need to worry too much about shutter speed because you aren't touching the camera to get your shot. I like to use Aperture priority for general landscape shots and often use an aperture of f/8. I try to go with ISO 100 when there is good light or I am using a tripod. I've found that my camera does a pretty good job of figuring out how long to have the shutter open to get the right exposure. If you can set your camera to auto bracket your shots, that might also be helpful.

It is hard to give any set formula for camera settings because the situation can vary a great deal. Not sure whether this was helpful to you, but I tried. :D

I've enjoyed seeing what you post here and the special effects you use with some of them - like the tree branch with withered leaves!

Gretchen

I haven't had time to buy a tripod yet, but I used some glasses with flat bottoms to sit my camera on tonite and I used the 2sec timer, too. :)

I'm posting a photo that I took as a result... maybe it turned out better than my other tries? Let me know what you think.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I think I prefer the cropped version of #4. I'd try to make sure that the green sprig is placed at the lower left third marker per the rule of thirds. You can check that here: http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/photo-adjuster.html

hmmm I drew lines out in photoshop when I was editing it and the green sprig was in the lower left third. It doesn't look like it is to you?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Here's my most recent try... I do bonsai and sometimes they don't make it. This one I couldn't bear to toss out because the shape of it is so beautiful to me. It's a miniature bonsai close-up. I tried to put light on it from one side and then take the photo of it from a different position than the light was coming from. The first one is full color and saturation... the 2nd one I took down the saturation to about 45% of the original.

Is one of these any better than my previous attempts? Am I going in the right direction? Thanks!

1. Bonsai 1
    P1050989bonsai1-huephoto2.jpg

2. Bonsai 2 - low saturation

P1050989bonsai2lowsatur.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I really like the Bonsai! Nice work! The comp is excellent and the subject is isolated from the BG. The contrast of light and dark is sweet.

I think I like the color in Bonsia 1 better. But that may just be a personal preference for strong color.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    I haven't had time to buy a tripod yet, but I used some glasses with flat bottoms to sit my camera on tonite and I used the 2sec timer, too. :)

Whoo hoo Jenn! You did exactly what you should... no tripod, improvise. I will sit my camera on or against anything I can to get it steady.

I like the first bonsai with more color. I like that you used your lighting to enhance it and the shadows you got on the backside.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Popping into the discussion late...

In the first set, I like the fence best, however, there's a lot of similarities in gray tones, so it seems flat. More contrast could help, but there's really no compelling subject in any of the first postings.

I do like your sense of adventure in processing that got some interesting effects in the second set (withered leaves). But again, there's not really a central subject. My eye never settles. I enjoy the processing and the "pop" you refer to, but in the end, there's not much "there", there.

The third set (With Death Comes New Life) is better in that it has both textured, weathered, worn coming through AND there's a subject that adds interest and meaning to the overall image. I'd agree that the second crop is better (and yes, the new growth is placed appropriately for the rule of thirds). BUT... I think a bit tighter crop, retaining the relative placement of the subject might be better... not sure, but it'd be worth a try. Not too much tighter, though.

For me the Bonsai is the best of the bunch from a compositional perspective (and I think I prefer #1 to the less saturated version, although, there may be mid-point that would work, too). This image has a variety of different textures AND a central subject. It holds my attention with small details AND I can land on a subject.

In the end... it's gotta be your call. Your selection for submission is really another part of your journey. Take the feedback then select the one you like the best.

So overall, this string of images is a great example of why this forum is so cool. It's really a place to learn and improve and get honest, helpful feedback. Kudos to you for taking advantage and taking risks to try new things.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    Love the last two shots of the bonsai. Hard for me to choose between the two. I guess I would suggest going with the first bonsai or trying for something in the middle as Bill mentioned.

There are so many times that I don't have a tripod with me, and look for other ways to steady my shot. I have used my camera bag to good advantage to help position the camera at an angle on a stone wall, etc. So glad this worked for you!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I really like the Bonsai! Nice work! The comp is excellent and the subject is isolated from the BG. The contrast of light and dark is sweet.

I think I like the color in Bonsia 1 better. But that may just be a personal preference for strong color.

Really?? I got the lighting right? I'm excited now!! :D It's the first time I've tried positioning a different light source and turning off my flash and take the photo from a different angle. :D I think I like the #1 Bonsai better, too, but I thought I'd offer the 2nd one to as a contrast choice in case it looked better.
    Whoo hoo Jenn! You did exactly what you should... no tripod, improvise. I will sit my camera on or against anything I can to get it steady.

I like the first bonsai with more color. I like that you used your lighting to enhance it and the shadows you got on the backside.

I'm really trying to do different things with taking the photos. I used my black winter coat as a background because it's black and it has a tiny bit of texture to it.. but not much. The light seemed to like it as the background. :D It didn't reflect or cast bad shadows that I could tell...
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)