Error Code 01 - Cannon

TrapshooterTrapshooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 23, 2011 in Cameras
This weekend at a soccer tournament I finally had a chance to get the shot I've wanted all season. My daughter who plays defense finally got a chance to play offense, has a breakaway shot on goal. I was in the right place at the right time for once. She is approaching the goal from my left (I am behind the end line), I have her in focus, the frame in focus and she takes the shot. She kinks the ball to the far right post high corner and the ball crashes into the back of the net. She SCORES!!!! I told you all that because she plays defense and remember it is the shot I had been waiting. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My issue is when I pushed the shutter button at the start of the events leading up to the goal, my camera took the first picture in the series and I locked up. After it was all said and done I notice the error code 01 on the display screen. Error code 01 “Communication between the camera and the lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.” I tried to clean the contact with an alcohol pads from the trainer but it still will not work. I changed lenses (28 to 75) and everything was fine. The issue seems only to be with my 70 to 200 lens. What do I need to do to get this fixed?<o:p></o:p>
Equipment used: Canon 40D and Tamron 70 to 200 lens.<o:p></o:p>
BTW, do you know how hard it is to explain to your 13 year old daughter that it was the camera and not dad that screwed up? Well at least this time it was the camera’s fault.<o:p></o:p>
Any help on what to do would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Rusty <o:p></o:p>

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Try it on another body. If it still doesn't work, then it may need to be repaired. Thankfully, Tamrons come with a 6-year warranty wings.gif

BTW, it sounds like you may be using a Canon 40D with a Tamron lens (as opposed to a Cannon 40D and Tamron lense). :hide
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 23, 2011
    Sorry to hear about this. In addition to cleaning with alcohol swabs, use a fresh red pencil eraser to scrub the lens' electrical contacts. Do not allow any eraser dust to fall inside the lens while cleaning and wipe any eraser dust away before remounting the lens on a camera.

I would not use alcohol swabs from a medical kit because they usually have "rubbing" alcohol and it may contain emollients/oils/lotions that can leave a residue. Use only swabs specifically made for photographic applications.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums