Buying a used lens?

GoldenGatePoolGoldenGatePool Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 11, 2011 in Cameras
I'm in the market for a good lens canon 70-200 f2.8 at the moment.
Thinking of checking out a used lens, what do I look for when buying it.
I'll test it decently, still as a newbie would like to hear your advise.

Thanks,

Ned

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Where do you want to buy it? In a store, on an online store, or on a buy&sell forum? You'll pay most to least in said order.
  • GoldenGatePoolGoldenGatePool Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    Where do you want to buy it? In a store, on an online store, or on a buy&sell forum? You'll pay most to least in said order.
    I see an option where I can inspect it myself before buying it from a person.
    That's what I'm hoping on... :)
    edited May 23, 2011
    Well, look for any physical defects, anything inside the lens (like fungus), if there's dust inside the lens then that's okay just make sure it doesn't affect the images. Also make sure it's not front- or backfocusing (if your camera has microadjustment then you can fix the problem), and make sure you're happy with the sharpness.

That's off the top of my head; let's see what others around here have to say.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    KEH, Adorama, and B&H all have well respected rating systems. Thay are all very reliable and reputable. They probably have more expertise than most of us when it comes to checking stuff out and (while it may sound naive) I think buying used from them is pretty low on the risk scale. I've done so (KEH & B&H) on more than one occasion, with complete satisfaction.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    +1 what Icebear wrote. I have bought two lenses through higher-risk channels--one via Craigslist (which gave me a chance to inspect the lens and do quick focus tests, but not thorough tests) and one through another photography website. Both were fine. However, neither was anywhere nearly as expensive as a 70-200 2.8. And I am not a newbie, so I can do a pretty good job of checking the lens out. If I were in your shoes, I would spend more and stick with a reputable vendor who will stand behind the product if something goes wrong.
    edited May 23, 2011
    Thanks Guys!!! What bang is going to be the right one is the challenge right now. Plain Jane? IS? IS II. man my bank is going to kick me out soon. I will be using a monopod most of the time, wondering if I need the IS...

paddler4 wrote: »
    +1 what Icebear wrote. I have bought two lenses through higher-risk channels--one via Craigslist (which gave me a chance to inspect the lens and do quick focus tests, but not thorough tests) and one through another photography website. Both were fine. However, neither was anywhere nearly as expensive as a 70-200 2.8. And I am not a newbie, so I can do a pretty good job of checking the lens out. If I were in your shoes, I would spend more and stick with a reputable vendor who will stand behind the product if something goes wrong.
    edited May 23, 2011
    I tell ya, that II version is as sharp as some Canon primes... as for IS, it depends what type of shooting you do. If it were me, I'd get the II version, if I had the money, just for the IQ.
    edited May 23, 2011
    it is a good hit on the wallett... I've been shooting indoor, no flash pool tournaments(my job). can't get too close to the tables since the matches are being played. What do you guys think? Not a pro, just to pump my business and enjoy it while I'm doing it.

Thanks,

Ned
    I tell ya, that II version is as sharp as some Canon primes... as for IS, it depends what type of shooting you do. If it were me, I'd get the II version, if I had the money, just for the IQ.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2011
    the other thing that i did not see mentioned as I SKIMMED thru the replies was...the newer the version the more it will sell for down the road if you decide to sell to trade up to a newer version later on.......I ask tons of questions before buying...but I only purchase from [places that offer a money back guarantee or if on a forum or other website I only pay with REGULAR PayPal.....do not use the gioft option as that is actually against Paypals rules and can cause you to lose your paypal account.....but paypal offers some security when buying off forums and websites like EBAY....I have bought lenses and cameras off ebay and never once had a problem....but I ask tons of questions as stated before.......

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 23, 2011
    I like using paypal myself, which camera stores take them?

Thanks,

Ned
    Art Scott wrote: »
    the other thing that i did not see mentioned as I SKIMMED thru the replies was...the newer the version the more it will sell for down the road if you decide to sell to trade up to a newer version later on.......I ask tons of questions before buying...but I only purchase from [places that offer a money back guarantee or if on a forum or other website I only pay with REGULAR PayPal.....do not use the gioft option as that is actually against Paypals rules and can cause you to lose your paypal account.....but paypal offers some security when buying off forums and websites like EBAY....I have bought lenses and cameras off ebay and never once had a problem....but I ask tons of questions as stated before.......

Good Luck.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    For big ticket items, I tend to go via KEH - I want the security of a return policy, which can't be expected from a private seller (although some will take items back if necessary). Because I'm always scraping together funds for those expensive items, I usually buy their BGN (bargain) rated lenses (which may have external scuffs and bumps, but the glass is fine) and have had tremendous luck with them.

I've only received one lens from them with problems (a 24-70L with focusing issues): they took it back without a question (even though I was a couple of days outside their "14 days from invoice" return policy - I had thought it was from date of *receipt* so was 2 days over, but they were fine with it), honoured my original purchase price with a replacement that was listed on the website slightly higher (although still a BGN rated lens) and shipped me the excellent replacement (with which I'm very happy!) on their dime. Seriously - they couldn't have been any more helpful and I recommend them HIGHLY.

For less expensive items I have bought used from here at dgrin and FredMiranda and been happy with those purchases. I make sure to respond to PMs and emails promptly, ask questions, ask for sample pictures (without being completely AR about it, I need to see unedited shots wide open, since I use wide apertures a lot), and generally ensure that I'm happy with what's being described - and the general tone of the seller - before finalizing a sale.

I use Paypal. I know some hate it, but it's always been great for me (and for my one bad ebay purchase - not camera gear - they came through exactly as advertised and gave me a full refund when the merchandise wasn't received).

ETA: Are you sure that the low light of a pool table might not be better served with a fast prime like the 85 1.8 or 100 f2? While IS will help steady the lens at lower shutter speeds, you will still get blurred motion of the players and balls if the shutter speed is low (which could be a cool artistic effect, if that's what you want, but just be aware that's what would happen). Just a thought.
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011

Thanks,

Ned

I've got a great little guide to selecting used lenses; something a customer forwarded on to me a couple of years ago, not an Adorama thing.
    But if you'd like me to send it on to you, please drop me an email: Helen@adoorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited May 25, 2011
    HelenOster wrote: »
    I've got a great little guide to selecting used lenses; something a customer forwarded on to me a couple of years ago, not an Adorama thing.
    But if you'd like me to send it on to you, please drop me an email: Helen@adoorama.com
    Thanks Sent you an e-mail.

I'm wondering what filter should I buy to protect the lens as well as a case to carry it w/ the camera in one piece. This lens will travel a lot packed in a motorcyels case... :)
    edited May 26, 2011

I'm wondering what filter should I buy to protect the lens as well as a case to carry it w/ the camera in one piece. This lens will travel a lot packed in a motorcyels case... :)

I'm sorry, I miss-spelled my email address (now you know I'm a person not an machine!). Should be: Helen@adorama.com

Please try again & I'll send you the document.

re: your queries for filter & case; am awaiting info & will come back to you.
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011

Thanks,

Ned

bear in mind that nobody sells this lens unless they are desperate for money or have a technical problem.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    bear in mind that nobody sells this lens unless they are desperate for money or have a technical problem.

Or unless they decide to upgrade to Nikon :D.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited May 26, 2011
    Or unless they decide to upgrade to the IS version... or to the IS II version... or if they're just not using it... or if they're quitting photography... or of they're switching to primes....

That's all I can think of for now :). There are always plenty on the FM Buy and Sell board.
    edited May 26, 2011
    HelenOster wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I miss-spelled my email address (now you know I'm a person not an machine!). Should be: Helen@adorama.com

Please try again & I'll send you the document.

re: your queries for filter & case; am awaiting info & will come back to you.

is the email addy in your signature still good??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 26, 2011
    I like using paypal myself, which camera stores take them?

Thanks,

Ned

I have not checked all stores but I think most will take PayPal.....I know B&H does, ebay does (ofcourse) and Amazon DOES NOT.....the one thing I do not like about amazon.

edited May 27, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    is the email addy in your signature still good??

Yes, it is.
    They both work, but I guess my boss sees me like Madonna, or Cher. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> not-tagged-smiley-13786.gif

and asked me to start using just Helen........@adorama
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited May 31, 2011

Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    I'll chime in and mention I know someone who sold that lens, (mk I before mk II was released), simply because they did NOT use it, as it didn't fit in with their shooting style. Rare, but it DOES happen ;)
    //Leah
    edited June 8, 2011
    I broke the bank out and bought a refurbished one from Adorama.
    I used it this weekend, what a cheater lens!!!

Good for my business clap.gif

Thanks guys!
    edited June 10, 2011
    I broke the bank out and bought a refurbished one from Adorama.
    I used it this weekend, what a cheater lens!!!

Good to hear wings.gif
    Helen Oster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
    edited June 10, 2011
    Glad you found one and it worked well for you....Success......

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2011

Thanks,

Ned

if you buy off of FM, POTN, Dgrin, etc. look for the seller's feedback links
    does dgrin have a feedback link?
    edited June 11, 2011
    Only positive feedback is allowed. It's a sticky in the flea market.