Options

Curious Quote Quandry

Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
edited June 6, 2011 in Weddings
Ok, first...say that 5 Xs fast. :D. I had an interesting scenario present itself today and could REALLY use some solid advice. A local Ad agency wants pricing on half day/full day shoots for editorial sub-contract work. I didn't want to seem clueless and I'm very pleased that I was even considered. I suppose this may be more of a "Mind Your Business" thread but it's "matrimonially motivated". :D What's the process here? Hourly rates or pre-boxed pricing? What's the going figures on each? It's a new arena for me and I don't want to screw it up. Any info would not only be helpful but could possibly score you a tall cold one when I'm in your neck of the woods! Thanks Dgrinners, you guys rock!

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    When I do simple hired contract work, I bill at $500 per 1/2 day plus travel if it is outside of my normal area. I do quickie raw processing and fme, these corporate types want things in a couple of days so consider that in the equation.

hope that helps!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    To me, it should be the same rate as all of your work. I don't discount one area of photography over another.

I'd start with finding out exactly what they are expecting from you - finished fully edited & retouched images? Rough edits? Non-edits? What's the timeframe? How will you deliver them? Figure out exactly how much time you will have involved, then add up your expenses (and overhead). Be realistic and honest with yourself. Then it's simple math to find out how much you want to make...

At that point (knowing exactly what they want as a finished product) you can make a decision on how you want to package your services - flat rate or hourly. I'd make sure you get the specifics in a good solid contract with them to make sure you get paid.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    My standard non-wedding rate is $150/hr with 2 hour minimum for full edited gallery.

If I am going to 2nd shoot an 8 hour day where I don't know the 1st shooter and we have no "mutual" understanding (I will 2nd for you for cheap if you 2nd for me for cheap) and I just send unculled raw files..that would be $500.

If I am 1st shooter but as a contract where I didn't have to meet with clients, get contracts signed, etc..no footwork! and I am delivering just unculled raw files, I would charge $1500.

But this is refelctive of where I am at in wedding photography: mildly experienced, still having fun, not my main job, but fairly decent eye.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2011
    Love the advice thus far. I'll take it to hearst and in 7 days, hope to have a solid answer. Wish me luck. :D
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I have a friend who is a pro photographer and he charges $1000 a day for commercial shoots...like banks, etc.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    I've done a handful of commercial shoots, including businesses and musicians. I charged $500 for half day (approx. 4 hours) with a commercial use license. It's less than what I charge for a wedding, but required less editing, except the musicians which were enough fun that I didn't mind putting in the editing work.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    I suppose this may be more of a "Mind Your Business" thread but it's "matrimonially motivated"

Have you looked at the information already posted in that forum about pricing?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Have you looked at the information already posted in that forum about pricing?

Yep, thanks! thumb.gif It's all wrapped up...or in the wraps I should say. :D Thanks for the replies and info., off to a great start! deal.gif