Options

date and time edit??

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in Finishing School
I changed the date of an image in LR3 to yesterday. Then I saved that new metadata to the file. All 3 dates in LR, (Original, digitized and Data/Time changed) but when I look at the information of that image in Finder (it's a mac) the date and time shown is the current date and time. It also shows the current date and time if I export the image through LR.

So I'm a bit confused, why isn't the date and time I changed in the file info. The edited date is only viewable in LR, which kind of defeats the point of what i'm trying to test.

Am I missing something?
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    There are multiple dates associated with an image and which you see depends upon which piece of software you're looking at and what you're looking in that software.

There is a file created time (this is file system property of the file)
    There is a file last modified time (this is file system property of the file)
    There is an image created time (this is in the image metadata)
    There is an image last modified time (this is in the image metadata)

Perhaps someone who knows Macs better that I can explain how you look at each of these dates in the Mac finder. By default, it would probably show you the two file system dates since those are the generic properties of a file, but it's probably smart enough to be able to display the meta data dates also if configured to do so.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    jf,
    your;e right the mac is showing the 2 system dates you mentioned and I can't seem to find the metadata dates, and pretty computer savy.

I know windows is very detailed when looking at file properties. I haven't tested this on a windows machine though.

R.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    jf,
    your;e right the mac is showing the 2 system dates you mentioned and I can't seem to find the metadata dates, and pretty computer savy.

I know windows is very detailed when looking at file properties. I haven't tested this on a windows machine though.

R.
    In Windows, you can specify the columns you want displayed in Windows Explorer. You can include photo-specific things like "Date Taken" or "Rating" or "Focal Length" or lots more things. I would expect that the Mac Finder can do something similar, but I'm not a Mac person to advise you on that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    In Windows, you can specify the columns you want displayed in Windows Explorer. You can include photo-specific things like "Date Taken" or "Rating" or "Focal Length" or lots more things. I would expect that the Mac Finder can do something similar, but I'm not a Mac person to advise you on that.

that's what I was looking for in the mac but found nothing.
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Are you referring to the metadata that is in the JPEG? particularly the EXIF data?

I am not sure if LR changes the EXIF data on the image file itself. I believe it only updates it internally in the catalog. If you want to change the EXIF metadata so that Finder can see it, you need a tool to directly edit the EXIF and alter the file itself. Sorry, I am not a Mac guru so I don't know of such a utility (maybe you can search 'EXIF tool Mac' and see what you find).
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)