Options

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 11, 2005 in Cameras
Has anyone owned one of these and used on a full frame camera. In conjunction with a full frame camera, looks like it might be an even better toy than the 10-22 on a smaller sensor.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Asking one more time in case someone with the answer didn't see the first time. Thre really aren't many options to get this wide.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Asking one more time in case someone with the answer didn't see the first time. Thre really aren't many options to get this wide.

i think popeye would be fun to have on the ff, but don't expect the edges to be really sharp...
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    Are there any alternatives that would get you to this territory?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    RickP66RickP66 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    I used to own one, but when I did I had a crop camera. Only time it was ever used full frame was once for like two pictures with my wife's film SLR. Didn't seem to vignette or produce much distortion. Now that I have a FF camera, I kinda wish I had it back, but I like my 17-40 too much to let it go.
    Canon 5D, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8L, Canon 400mm f5.6L, 580EX Flash.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Are there any alternatives that would get you to this territory?

i don't think so. tammy makes an 11-18 but i think it's only for crop factor bodies?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 10, 2005
    I own one and rarely use it - It's kind of dark in there - I have not thought of using it on a FF - I'll put in the hopper of things I need to do one of these days.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2005
    A careful reading of the reviews led me to believe that you want to stop it down quite a bit. Too bad. The 16-35 is more serious fun on the 5D than the 10-22 on the 20D becaue it is pretty fast as well as wide. I don't think it distorts as much either which is either a good or bad thing depending...

So maybe I'll put off this toy. There should be a prime in this range, you'd think.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    Canon makes a 15mm L - but they are proud of it as usual, and it is a special purpose lens that will be low on my list of desires I am afraid. Now the 24mm L f1.4 sounds pretty nice though.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Canon makes a 15mm L - but they are proud of it as usual, and it is a special purpose lens that will be low on my list of desires I am afraid. Now the 24mm L f1.4 sounds pretty nice though.

it's actually a 14L - and it's a fairly poor performer in the corners esp on full frame.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's actually a 14L - and it's a fairly poor performer in the corners esp on full frame.
    You're right Andy, the 15mm is a Fisheye. My mistake.eek7.gif Sadly there is not a 16,17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, or 23mm prime from Canon is there?? - just the 24mm f1.4 L - But that is pretty wide with FF for me. Or just shoot a pano if I need widerne_nau.gif

I'll bet the Canon 14mm L is sharper than the forementioned Sigma 12-24 though.