Anyone think a Canon 5d mark II will get a refresh this year?

VT50VT50 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited May 29, 2011 in Cameras
Wondering what features this beast will have and if a refresh will happen this year or not.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    www.canonrumors.com. All the speculation you could desire over there! thumb.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Yeah, really. But nobody knows. I do think it will happen this year, for the following reasons:

1. 5D1: Aug 2005. 5D2: Sept 2008. Following the pattern, 5D3: Oct 2011.

2. Some say they won't because of the earthquake. But Canon proved that they aren't afraid of releasing new products when they recently announced some new Pixmas.

3. Canon is recovering well from the earthquake. They announced that they will be shipping the lenses (released in August) this fall. Based on this, it sounds like the delays are coming to an end and their new factory is finally starting to operate without delays.

But, since the 5D2 is selling so well, they might wait till 5D2 sales drop. Like I said, nobody knows.

Specs? Again, no one knows. But I'll spec-ulate.

32mp. Canon's very best HD video (this will likely be their flagship video camera). Same body as mk2. Improved ISO (like that of the D3s). 5fps, but 6-8 is very possible.

I'm aggressive there. With the 1Ds4 delay, I think the new 1Ds is gonna be pretty amazing. At least 40mp. Canon wants customers to say, "Yes, the 1Ds4 is worth $5,000 more than the 5D3."

Remember, the 5D3 will have to compete with the Nikon D800. The D700 already does 8fps. I think the 5D3 will do 5 with an 8fps grip option. Or maybe just 8fps without the grip.

The 5D3, 1Ds4, Canon mirrorless (maybe, maybe not), Nikon mirrorless, Nikon D800, and Nikon D4 should all come out this year. It'll be pretty interesting. To loosely quote Ziggy, the best thing to do about the new toys is to wait.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    I would be happy for you canon folks if the AF module was updated (better spread, more points, accuracy and responsiveness). That's the only thing that irks me with that otherwise fine body.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Oh yes. I predict 7D AF.

But honestly, we don't know any more than we did 6 months ago ne_nau.gif. Canon's got somethin' up their sleeve.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    I would be happy for you canon folks if the AF module was updated (better spread, more points, accuracy and responsiveness). That's the only thing that irks me with that otherwise fine body.
    The 5D mk2 AF is the feature that takes the brunt of criticism, but unfortunately it is also just a bit more of a sluggish camera in general. The more geeky specifications, such as shutter lag and mirror blackout, aren't too hot either. I could also use at least one more FPS, not so much for portraits but for photojournalism and things like theater where peak action doesn't necessarily require 8-10 FPS, but definitely having more than ~3 is helpful.

Whenever I ask a Canon user why Canon hasn't put the pro-grade 45 point AF into a sub-$3K semi-pro camera body yet, I always get the same response, that it just won't ever happen because it would cannibalize the sales of their $5-8K flagships. ...I feel like clubbing them with my D700 or D300, for being so brainwashed. Okay but seriously, yeah I do expect the 5D mk3 to have at least 7D series AF, if not better. The only way they can get away with anything less than 7D AF is if they make another *huge* breakthrough in HD video or something else. But even then, if that happened then I would honestly cease recommending Canon to people who have similar shooting needs to my own, period. Unless they can afford a used 1Ds mk3... Don't get me wrong, Canon is a great system and I shoot with it all the time. I just have a strong distaste for so much focus on "market placement", it just seems money-grubbing to me...

My prediction: 5D mk3 by the end of this year, or in the "usual" release term in Jan / Feb of next year. If you look back historically, there are very common tactics for camera releases, and those release histories do indicate that we can expect a 5D mk3 as soon as this August-October, and no later than next Jan-Mar...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Matthew - if you recall Canon stated publicly they couldn't fit 45 AF points in the camera because of its size. Then the Nikon D700 came out :D

But all signs point to 28+ mp, 7D autofocus, 4-5fps, flip-out LCD possibly, model lock button the dial, higher iso.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Matthew - if you recall Canon stated publicly they couldn't fit 45 AF points in the camera because of its size. Then the Nikon D700 came out :D

But all signs point to 28+ mp, 7D autofocus, 4-5fps, flip-out LCD possibly, model lock button the dial, higher iso.
    Laughing.gif. Yeah, never believe what they tell you. I'm sure if Canon had given the viewfinder just a tiny reduction, and a slightly taller body, it'd be no problem... (look at the height of the 5D mk2 compared to the D700, the D700 is much taller...)

I'd be thrilled with just those improvements, of course. I don't *need* the 1-series AF... As long as at least some of the off-center AF points are cross-type like the 7D... (and many of the 1-series AF points) In fact, if Canon puts off-center cross-type AF points in a 5D mk3, I'll go as far as to praise Canon, and begin scolding Nikon. (As awesome as their AF system is, the edges are still not nearly what they could be...)

=Matt=
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Just give me the 7D AF system and a crisper shutter, and I'll buy it! I love everything about my 5DmII except its sluggish feel and AF. I shoot a lot of sports with it, despite its limitations, because the image quality is sooo good.

And it is fairly rugged. I recently was on a river kayaking trip down a very steep and small stream. The camera was in and out of its Pelican box constantly. Near the bottom of the run, I opened the box to find the camera laying in a puddle of water! I opened the camera up as best I could--lens off, battery out, CF out, etc.--and watched it steam up. Eventually it dried out, and still works fine. Phew!
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Ha, when ever I hear someone complaining about the 5D2 and they want a better AF system and better response timings. I tell them to 'shush' and they had their chance to just buy a Nikon. But they didn't, so, HA...
    edited May 27, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    The nikon's af is no better, its just such a low resolution camera you can't tell its OOF :ivar

The 5d2's af gets way more bashing (including from myself when I first got it) than it deserves. It's actually very capable, it just tends to get abused more than the 7d because of its low light capabilities lead it to be used in more difficult situations.

Oh shush, Nikon has a higher res camera than Canon.
    edited May 28, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    Oh shush, Nikon has a higher res camera than Canon.
    Ironically, the 24 megapixel Nikon sensor has lower ISO noise than the 21 megapixel Canon sensor. I like to bring that up whenever people argue that down-sampling their 21 megapixel sensor can beat my 12 megapixel sensor. Fight fire with fire!

(Disclaimer - I really don't care. I shoot with Nikon and Canon DSLR's all the time, and I just focus on getting the job done. I agree with Richy that the 5D mk2 certainly gets more criticism than it deserves; I can get a 5D mk2 to focus (almost) just fine in low light at f/1.4. I have to concentrate a *bit* more than with a D700 or a 7D, but I get the job done.

I'm a Nikon owner, but here's an image from a 5D mk3 (edit: 5D mk2) ...at f/1.4 in VERY dark light, that I took last year at a wedding...

=Matt=

1064351643_6kTLv-M.jpg

1064351165_bpwcX-M.jpg
    edited May 28, 2011
    yeah matt, what's the 5D3 like? Is it everything I dreamed of?
    edited May 29, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    yeah matt, what's the 5D3 like? Is it everything I dreamed of?
    richy wrote: »
    heh please you had to know I was joking right ;) Matt, please spill the beans on the 5d m3 ;) Interesting re the noise how much better results nikon got than sony with the same sensor.

Laughing.gif, good catch! I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;-)

=Matt=