Options

Thought I'd toss one up for the morning

HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
edited October 6, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi All,
This is an IR shot taken around a power substation. Taken awhile back but not posted for a DGrin challenge. Found it last night and thought it looked kinda cool.

Pole of Power
50297115.jpg
Sony DSC-V3 1/30s f/3.2 at 10.8mm iso100

It appears heavily banded on my LCD, but looks OK in a CRT.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome,
Chris

Note: don't know why I add the comments remark because it's in my sig. Maybe because people don't pay attention to sigs:D.

A picture is but words to the eyes.
Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Nice catch. I like the glow around the pole.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Shines
    Hi All,
    This is an IR shot taken around a power substation. Taken awhile back but not posted for a DGrin challenge. Found it last night and thought it looked kinda cool.

Pole of Power

Sony DSC-V3 1/30s f/3.2 at 10.8mm iso100

It appears heavily banded on my LCD, but looks OK in a CRT.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome,
    Chris

Note: don't know why I add the comments remark because it's in my sig. Maybe because people don't pay attention to sigs:D.
    Hi Chris.......I like that shot, and the glow around the pole really sets it off.
    Nice angle you shot it at too........Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Chris.......I like that shot, and the glow around the pole really sets it off.
    Nice angle you shot it at too........Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks David and Skippy. The glow is actually the sun behind the pole. This is a straight IR shot with the pole blocking the direct sun. I missed a little on centering, but I still like effect.

IR is good for more than shooting plants. If I had shot this normally, the sky would have been very light instead of dark and I don't think the shot would have turned out. The wonders of IR; still experimenting and learning:D.

Glad you two liked the effect and thanks for the comments,
    Chris

• Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Ummmmmm -
    What bothers me, when I first saw IR shots I really did not/not like them. Now I'm starting to look at the extra good ones (like this one) and think, yeah, not bad, I like it. The worry bit is in one of the photography magazines this month, it says once you start using IR you get hooked and it spoils 'normal' shots for you. I wouldn't want that. Maybe if I just look at others and don't actually try it out in case I get snared.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    What bothers me, when I first saw IR shots I really did not/not like them. Now I'm starting to look at the extra good ones (like this one) and think, yeah, not bad, I like it. The worry bit is in one of the photography magazines this month, it says once you start using IR you get hooked and it spoils 'normal' shots for you. I wouldn't want that. Maybe if I just look at others and don't actually try it out in case I get snared.
    Hi Possum,
    What mag did you read that in? When I bought my Sony V3, IR capability was one of the main factors for the purchase. I had always wanted to try it, but didn't with 35mm. Within the first week of owning the camera, I made a homemade filter (floppy disk) and I knew I was hooked; bought the right filters and went to town shooting IR. I quickly realized that IR is not good for many things and am still developing an eye for what works and what doesn't. This shot was one of those experimental shots that I thought came out, others don't.

For your D70, it's an $80 expense for an IR filter, plus you need a tripod for slow shutter speeds (remote trigger would also help).

Is IR addicting, YES. Is it easy to keep under control after the initial trials, (for me) YES. It's just another fun tool and a way to see things in a different light (pun intended). And I don't find that it spoils any of the "normal" shots at all.

Glad you liked the shot and thanks for the comment,
    Chris