Options

Has anyone seen this error in their images (preview looks great but actual image fail

Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited May 29, 2011 in The Big Picture
I took this shot and it appeared fine in preview. Here's the specs

Shot D700
Sandisk New 8gb card
Shot Raw only (no raw + jpeg)
Imported via lightroom and I noticed after the preview loaded it glitched. before the preview loaded it was normal. This has happened in the past couple days.
Here my thought (I didn't format the card) I shoot canon and nikon and I was wondering if that could cause trouble writing to the same card. I dont think it would but not sure.

Not sure if it is a card or camera or import issue. Or possibly a file crc issue sinceit did import as Dsc_7604-2

I also put the card back in the camera and zoomed in on the preview on screen, it didnt not give me any error or display the same issue below.

I found one image that displays the preview fine, but says "unexpected end of file" with a exclamation mark on the image in LR

Thank's for your help!

DSC7604-2-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Basically the preview is a small jpg so this can be intact while the RAW file is not. I have had this happen and found it was a file transfer error.

Transferred images from CF card to laptop, then from the laptop to external hard drive. Found several images in the external Hard drive with the exact issues your image displayed.

Images on the laptop were fine.

Try formatting the card. Don't delete images from the card until you have confirmed all is well on your computer. When you find a file with this issue try to re download the image. If it can be successfully downloaded the second time then the issue is not with the card or camera, but with the download process.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Sam, Thank you. I believe it is a new card, but I understand its electonics. I re imported to LR in a new gallery. Does anyone know if memory cards write to the same sector? I was thinking of shooting 160 photos, and comparing where IF ANY further errors occur. I can try to download it to a different computer all together incase something is in there.

There are two in this gallery, and when i was editing I found another shoot. same camera serial number. but just with the END of file issue. I wonder if theres a way to see what card it was recorded on in the EXIF I want to elimiate the bad card and transfer before the bad camera...
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    I just tried it in another computer same result exactly. maybe the camera didn't write, Sometimes I have a habit of turning it off after a shot. but definately didnt pull the memory card out.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Hopefully the card has a warranty. I would stop using it. It's just a risk you're taking that could potentially hurt your clients and therefore you. If it has a warranty then take advantage of that... if not then I'd buy a new card. Hopefully it's not a Sandisk Extreme Pro :)
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I just tried it in another computer same result exactly. maybe the camera didn't write, Sometimes I have a habit of turning it off after a shot. but definately didnt pull the memory card out.

The manual of the D700 recommends not to turn off camera while it is writing to the card, as this may cause damage to card/photo. Leaving it on does not really affect battery life, so I would leave it on. I usually turn my camera on when I grab it and only turn it off again just before storing it.