Options

Strange color shift producing jpgs in CS5 compared to Lightroom

CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
edited May 26, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi all (it's been a while, I know!)

I've somewhat recently moved my photoprocessing onto a mac platform and upgraded to Photoshop CS5. All good from that aspect...

The issue I'm having is, when I use Lightroom to produce jpgs, they end up looking just like I see them in LR. When I export them as TIFF files into CS5, the color still looks true in the CS5 workspace. But, when I save them out of CS5 they have a noticeable shift in color (toward green maybe?).

Below are a few shots of what the file color looks like in LR3, in the CS5 workspace and a Finder (preview) of the two resulting jpgs along with my settings from LR3 and CS5.

Any clues!? :scratch

Lightroom produced jpg
IMG2399fromLR3-S.jpg

Lightroom Export settings
Lightroom-Preferences-M.jpg

Mac Finder View showing LR jpg on Right and PS jpg on left
Finder-View-M.jpg

Photoshop CS5 Color Preferences settings
Photoshop-Color-Settings-L.jpg

Photoshop Save As dialogue box
Photoshop-Save-As-settings-S.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    First of all, saving to an 8-bit ProPhotoRGB image is probably not a good idea. If you're going to an 8-bit JPEG, then you should probably go to either sRGB or AdobeRGB. the ProPhotoRGB color space is large enough that you can see issues in 8-bits. I don't know whether that has anything to do with your color display issue or not, but it's something you should change.

Does the Finder know how to accurately display a ProPhotoRGB image with color management? Have you tried saving and viewing it as an sRGB image? You might try viewing it in Safari which we know is color managed.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I agree with John, last thing you want is an 8-bit ProPhoto JPEG.

IF indeed the JPEG has an embedded profile, the Finder should see it correctly but I’m also not clear on how (or why) you view this. Now when I say it will view it correctly, NOT the tiny thumbnail you see on the desktop. But if you do a Get Info (command I), the preview in that dialog is color managed and should match Photoshop.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/