Options

Julie and Andrew - a stack of photos

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited June 30, 2011 in Weddings
It's been a long time since their engagement session, but it was great to see them again. Fairly small wedding, under 40 guests, and super personal. Just really good people :)

90f929bbcf6cadc22a7d4f076029cbe3.jpg

9be389f34ddad143253b40a3ad866679.jpg

32b3bc15e44378fdb192f0e33a53ea4d.jpg

2b29a23b26a588be4ee55d4945464f0f.jpg

3ab1d2561eee4936fcadc9b760543dc4.jpg

52f3825feb148984e07d79268f539f9d.jpg

04a5c52d65b45422dd4d87cb9191c964.jpg

ffd3ab2de055f735865aa3f74eef26a8.jpg

7e7db5e506efa7a4406dc69fa6659b0a.jpg

b38d65cbeda7aa6a084c1ba85f245cf6.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    GORGEOUS! Hey Patrick, when do those magnolia-like flowers bloom? I REALLY want to shoot a couple portrait sessions in Sequoia and Yosemite this spring / summer / fall, but I know those flowers are going fast... :-(

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Your work always blows me away. I love #5 the most from this set. Can you tell us more about how you shot it in terms of the equipment and EXIF?
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    awesome work!!
    Are the 5 and 7 shots taken with a flash?

I am still struggling with getting the exposures right to get the sky and the subject lit well :\
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    GORGEOUS! Hey Patrick, when do those magnolia-like flowers bloom? I REALLY want to shoot a couple portrait sessions in Sequoia and Yosemite this spring / summer / fall, but I know those flowers are going fast... :-(

=Matt=

Thanks Matt! Those are dogwoods and beautiful trees to see. There are plenty of them in the park, but their flowers only last so long. The started to flower about two weeks ago and will be dead within another two weeks. They look great now when they are vibrant and white, but they will get yellow, dirty and shrivel as they go...

Come on up and lets go shoot!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Your work always blows me away. I love #5 the most from this set. Can you tell us more about how you shot it in terms of the equipment and EXIF?

Sure thing - 5dII, 16-35II, Four 550ex's blasting them straight from camera right (you can see the shadow of her arm on her dress). ISO 100, 18mm f5.6, 1/640. Then in LR just a little dodging and burning to complete the look. When I as taking the picture in camera, my #1 goal (technically) was to keep the dynamic range under control. It's a tough scene (direct sun light, many foreground in direct sunlight, background in open shade) and requires a darn near perfect balance.

Thanks for sharing the love!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    awesome work!!
    Are the 5 and 7 shots taken with a flash?

I am still struggling with getting the exposures right to get the sky and the subject lit well :\

Lots of flash on #5, no flash on #7 - it was shot pure Ansel Adam's style with just dodging and burning as necessary. In #7 I basically (again, technically) just treated the couple as part of the scenery. I really didn't care about getting a perfect exposure across them; all that matters is that they pop out of the background. So I kept them separated through tonality with her white dress. As you can see, his black jacket does blend into the background here so it's the bride that anchors the photo - without her, he'd be lost.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    thank you!
    One day, i'll learn how :D
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Sure thing - 5dII, 16-35II, Four 550ex's blasting them straight from camera right (you can see the shadow of her arm on her dress). ISO 100, 18mm f5.6, 1/640. Then in LR just a little dodging and burning to complete the look. When I as taking the picture in camera, my #1 goal (technically) was to keep the dynamic range under control. It's a tough scene (direct sun light, many foreground in direct sunlight, background in open shade) and requires a darn near perfect balance.

Thanks for sharing the love!
    Note to self: Stock up on flashes. Laughing.gif! My two measly 580exiis aren't enough.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Note to self: Stock up on flashes. Laughing.gif! My two measly 580exiis aren't enough.

To be fair, you could do this with two. I really have no idea how much power they are putting out, I shot this in ETTL with the PW Flex's - HSS is robbing some of the power away here. You could also just use a bigger light like an Alien Bee - but I work by myself, so I can't carry that much weight and work at the same time. I use four lights because it fits my workflow and I am often shooting outside in full sunlight like this.

I have to add: when I started out I obviously couldn't afford 4x Canon speedlights, so I purchased 3x SunPak 383's, a wireless trigger and wiring to hook them all up. Less than $200 spent and you can easily do the same thing as I did here.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited May 26, 2011
    #8 is a lovely photo. Maybe a bit more light on the happy couple? Anyway, I think shots like #3, #7 and #8 are awesome because of the juxtaposition between nature and your subjects.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Dude that is NOT Julie Andrews! Great pictures though!!

Matt

Oh AND,
    I shot this in ETTL
    Gasp!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Dude that is NOT Julie Andrews! Great pictures though!!

Ha! I never thought of it that way...

And yes, I do use ETTL all the time. Once you get a feeling for how it works, it's fairly consistent. Not perfectly consistent, but acceptable for me. Of course with the new Pocket Wizards I can put my remote flashes in manual mode too if I need to -- all from camera position :)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    I always used to wonder about the whole ETTL vs. Manual debate. After seeing the whole thing demo'ed, most recently by Hobby & McNally, I'm of the opinion either works just fine as long as you know how to use it. As they say, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Both are tools to get the job done. I'm really more concerned with the finished product that how you got there. Better yet, I'm more concerned with why you took the shot than how you took the shot. Of course I think it's incredibly important to understand manual flash too (I do use it all the time) so that you can understand what is happening and the inherent limitations of ETTL.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I really love 3, 5, & 7

Great stuff! I always enjoy stalking your blog and posts on here :)
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Great outdoor shots. I like how you did some of the indoor ones as well. You didn't try to fill the room with too much flash, but just tried to capture the emotion of the moment. Does #9 have a remote flash above the table in the background or did you just use available light for that picture?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    Thanks again everyone!

Lucas #2, #7, #9 are the only photos here not using flash.
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Thanks again everyone!

Lucas #2, #7, #9 are the only photos here not using flash.

Thanks for the info. I do really like how #9 turned out :-)
  • Options
    mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Awesome work! I agree with pretty much everything said here --- and just to add, I absolutely love #8 (even if I think the couple could have used just slightly more light, as someone else said). I haven't seen anything quite like it, and I really love what you did with all of the shots! Keep up the great work (and thanks for sharing some of your trade-secrets with the rest of us!)