Options

Website revamped, your opinion pls?

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in Weddings
1308420338_BzJ7gHn-L.jpg

Click the image for the link.

All this branding talks and workshops and I decided to chuck it all lol. I'm more of a clean slate type anyway.

But would you guys click around a bit and let me know if there's anything not right?

And also, specifically pertaining to the portfolio images, do the images look weirdly compressed? I have a hard time on this laptop so I can't tell, but they look blurry-ish. I've been looking at them for a few days now, so my eyes are pretty shot.

I'd really appreciate your help, and thanks so much in advance!

Kris

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I like its cleanness! iloveyou.gif It definitely leads me to believe that the site is from a photojournalist. Bravo!

A side note: the featured image of the most recent wedding on the blog, the bride looks ... like she was a cast member of the Walking Dead...
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Thanks, Ted! Did you find the font too hard to read or too small?

I have to google The Walking Dead, but you mean she looks like an actress in it, right?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    Thanks, Ted! Did you find the font too hard to read or too small?

I have to google The Walking Dead, but you mean she looks like an actress in it, right?

I think it is just right, the fonts.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Cool. Thanks for your help, Ted!
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    1308420338_BzJ7gHn-L.jpg

Click the image for the link.

All this branding talks and workshops and I decided to chuck it all lol. I'm more of a clean slate type anyway.

But would you guys click around a bit and let me know if there's anything not right?

And also, specifically pertaining to the portfolio images, do the images look weirdly compressed? I have a hard time on this laptop so I can't tell, but they look blurry-ish. I've been looking at them for a few days now, so my eyes are pretty shot.

I'd really appreciate your help, and thanks so much in advance!

Kris
    I clicked the link in your sig and in Firefox four the picture is on top above your grey bar and your links trail down below.
    Here is a screen shot of what I see.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/pictureTaz/KF-screen.jpg
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    I clicked the link in your sig and in Firefox four the picture is on top above your grey bar and your links trail down below.
    Here is a screen shot of what I see.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/pictureTaz/KF-screen.jpg

Hi! You have to enable javascript to be able to see the flash. Are you using Noscript or something similar?
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    Hi! You have to enable javascript to be able to see the flash. Are you using Noscript or something similar?
    I have javascript enabled and no I am not using any type of script blockers.
    I don't know what the problem is I visit other sites with falsh with no problems. It is the same with IE 8.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    The first image that appears in the slideshow is a bit strange IMO, that just distracted me from everything else.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Interesting about firefox and ie not showing up right. I'll have to look into that!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2011
    Stuart-M wrote: »
    The first image that appears in the slideshow is a bit strange IMO, that just distracted me from everything else.

Hi! Thank you for the feedback! Can you elaborate on what is strange...?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  • Options
    lanaerlanaer Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    I do most of my web browsing these days from my iPad, which is never going to have flash... So my experience with your site is the same as dbveto's.
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    I like your site, except the words were sooooooooo small, I had to blow up the screen to read it...maybe I'm getting old...lol
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2011
    Thanks for your input guys! I made a lot of changes, specially in the "SEO friendly" that everyone sees on the non-flash capable devices. I can't really do a lot about that, but the info should be in the proper order in the pages now.

I also darkened the font to help with legibility and I added links to the other galleries when viewing one gallery.

Really appreciated your feedback, but if you still see any bugs, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    My thoughts:

Clean and stylish, as is alll of your marketing astuff. No problem reading the fonts. Worked fine in Windoze/Firefox (cranky computer was happy to display appropriately)

Niggles:

- the portfolios are sometimes cranky when ou hit the "back" button - it took me ALL the way back instead of just to the previous screen.

- The first image of the "weddings" portfolio filmstrip should be a stunner IMO - you've laid them out chronologically so that we're getting the "getting ready" shots first - they're lovely, but it would be great to kick off with a real wallhanger. In fact, I think it might be nice to mix up the shots altogether rather than go through the wedding "in order". YMMV on that, of course.

- If I were a bride, I'd want to see some thumbnails and be able to click around rather than be forced into viewing in the filmstrip order, and maybe having to wait to see certain shots. If there's a thumbnail layout AS WELL as the filmstrip, the viewer can jump around more. Trying to think like a consumer here, instead of a photographer :D

- as a performer, if I see a category for "headshots" I want... headshots. A couple of those fit the bill, but I'd (personally) put many of them in the "portraits' category. That may be just me, however - take with a large grain of salt!

Basically I like the concept and the style - suggestions above are tweaks, really. Your work is so gorgeous, Kris - you are one of the people I want to be when I grow up!!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    My thoughts:

Clean and stylish, as is alll of your marketing astuff. No problem reading the fonts. Worked fine in Windoze/Firefox (cranky computer was happy to display appropriately)

Niggles:

- the portfolios are sometimes cranky when ou hit the "back" button - it took me ALL the way back instead of just to the previous screen.

- The first image of the "weddings" portfolio filmstrip should be a stunner IMO - you've laid them out chronologically so that we're getting the "getting ready" shots first - they're lovely, but it would be great to kick off with a real wallhanger. In fact, I think it might be nice to mix up the shots altogether rather than go through the wedding "in order". YMMV on that, of course.

- If I were a bride, I'd want to see some thumbnails and be able to click around rather than be forced into viewing in the filmstrip order, and maybe having to wait to see certain shots. If there's a thumbnail layout AS WELL as the filmstrip, the viewer can jump around more. Trying to think like a consumer here, instead of a photographer :D

- as a performer, if I see a category for "headshots" I want... headshots. A couple of those fit the bill, but I'd (personally) put many of them in the "portraits' category. That may be just me, however - take with a large grain of salt!

Basically I like the concept and the style - suggestions above are tweaks, really. Your work is so gorgeous, Kris - you are one of the people I want to be when I grow up!!

Diva, thank you for the excellent crit and breaking that down. I really debated whether I should do the chronological bit or not, and I like your idea that the opener should be a stunner. Guess I'll see what I can do for that. I might take out the headshot section until I get more headshots. Some of them were stretching the word :) Also, you've given me food for thought on the thumbnails.

I modeled the site after one of my favorite photographers', and honestly, I might have to change a few things because I don't want it to look...lifted is the word. Just inspired/influenced by. Check it out <click here for website> Too similar, right? I have no desire to infringe on a copyright; I just really love her site.