Marching On

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in People
From last night's practice:

playing around with "Andy's Happy Angle" ...
38795659-L.jpg
Model: Canon EOS 10D
Focal length [mm]: 200
ISO value: 1600
Shutter speed : 1/125
Aperture: F3.5
Flash: Fired
Metering mode: Partial
White balance: Auto

...and with some background-desaturation...
38795665-L.jpg
Model: Canon EOS 10D
Date taken: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:16:31 PM
Focal length [mm]: 175
ISO value: 1600
Shutter speed : 1/125
Aperture: F3.5
Flash: Fired
Metering mode: Partial
White balance: Auto

Critique not only welcome but heartaly requested.

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Critique not only welcome but heartaly requested.[/QUOTE]Hi Steven. I like 2 more than one. A little sharper and I prefer the compostion. I like the way you've desaturated the background, I think she could be bumped up a little in contrast tho. Thanks for sharing :D1drink.gif
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I like the way you've desaturated the background, I think she could be bumped up a little in contrast tho.
    thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll give the contrast a bump and see how that helps.

These all have been run through Neat Image, it feels to me like that process "dulls" (desaturates) them just a little and maybe even makes them a little soft. Are my eyes off, or do others get this sort of feeling from Neat Image (and Noise Ninja?)?
    edited October 6, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    I'll give the contrast a bump and see how that helps.
    Contrast +10, Brigtness -11 (to keep from loosing detail in the white gloves)
    img5765contrast6jk.jpg

That does bring out her hair a bit more and overall I think it's a bit better. Thanks!

(a corona a day keeps... something away)
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Contrast +10, Brigtness -11 (to keep from loosing detail in the white gloves)

That does bring out her hair a bit more and overall I think it's a bit better. Thanks!

(a corona a day keeps... something away)
    yes thats better.. I agree noise ninja does "dull" the shot. I often erase parts of the picture in noise ninja after using it.. in parts where a little noise does'nt matter. Also if you want to really cheat rolleyes1.gif make two layers, bump the contrast on the lower layer and erase the top layer in parts that you want to contrast, or use a layer mask..
    edited October 6, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Also if you want to really cheat rolleyes1.gif make two layers, bump the contrast on the lower layer and erase the top layer in parts that you want to contrast, or use a layer mask..
    hey, that ain't cheating... that's standard procedure xzicon_smile_cool.gif
    actually, that is exactly how I took care of the background in the first place, - I love layers - and I use the same technique to blur backgrounds, enhnace the subject's saturation, etc. I just hadn't thought of giving the contrast a nudge as well.
    I just didn't for this quick try, I'll admit, I just grabbed the "final" image and tweaked for the forum here.

Does Noise Ninja act as a plug-in, that you can use it on just one layer? I've only got the demo version of NeatImage at this point and was trying to decide beween different version; I hadn't thought that acting as a plug-in was important but now that I think about what you wrote maybe it is... lightbulb.gif
    Thanks!
    edited October 10, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Does Noise Ninja act as a plug-in, that you can use it on just one layer? I've only got the demo version of NeatImage at this point and was trying to decide beween different version; I hadn't thought that acting as a plug-in was important but now that I think about what you wrote maybe it is...
    Argh, what a weekend. 12 hours of marching band competition hosted by our band, just one 'official' still photographer. And now I'm left with 1,751 images to go through. The daytime ones are ok (though the sun was a bit harsh); the night-time ones though... noise city! Arrrrrr icon_pirate.gif