Graduation time

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited May 27, 2011 in People
Last weekend, my second half's brother had graduated from college..
It was the first time I've seen a ceremony in US, but here are the results... my 70-200 wasn't all that much help (it is out to the shop already), and I didn't have my sigma with me, so I ended up shooting with the 85mm..

1)
e3-L.jpg

2)
e6-L.jpg

3)
e8-L.jpg

4)
e12-L.jpg

5) on this one, I was being dragged away by the guards.. apparently, I "sneaked" into the "official photographers only" area.. heh.
e16-L.jpg

6)
e18-L.jpg

Any pointers on what to do better next time are welcome!
I have another graduation coming up shortly..
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    not bad, I guess I like the 3rd one
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    um.. thanks.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    These are a great documentation of an important event. 3, 4, 5 jump out at me. Great captures. Definitely a lot more than "not bad". But it looks like you may have missed a few key moments, like the graduate receiving his diploma on the stage while shaking hands with the Dean, and the caps being tossed. Or maybe you just aren't showing us those? And were you able to get any wider shots to tell more of the story of the day?

I really like his foot in 5, as well his overall pose. Perfect timing. He's marching confidently into his future. Had you caught him at a different moment in his stride, like the guy behind him, it wouldn't be as nearly a powerful image. I'm sure his parents are very grateful for these and will cherish them forever. I would just delete that giant hanging black caterpillar that is about to crawl into his ear. (the loudspeaker stack)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 27, 2011
    Thank you Jack.
    I was very much bummed about not being able to take a picture of the fellow receiving his diploma. I could not get close enough to capture that, college guards and police barely allowed me in the tent to grab the pictures of him walking down the carpet with his diploma.

And much to my shock, they did NOT toss the caps :( I had my wide angle ready, and at 15mm, it was covering the whole tent. But the dean had them move their tassels left and right, and that was it.

the picture 2 gotten me a 15$ fine, too.. :)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    Thank you Jack.
    I was very much bummed about not being able to take a picture of the fellow receiving his diploma. I could not get close enough to capture that, college guards and police barely allowed me in the tent to grab the pictures of him walking down the carpet with his diploma.

Strange. Sounds like the pro photogs paid off the guards handsomely! Even if you can't get close enough, I think it's important to get a shot of "the moment", even if the person is just a tiny speck. I think it's fun to be able to point to a picture and say "THAT is when I graduated college."
    And much to my shock, they did NOT toss the caps

lame!
    the picture 2 gotten me a 15$ fine, too.. :)

Bah, worth it. How asinine though. What happens if you don't pay it?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 27, 2011
    yep, they hired some company that had photogs walk around and take pictures.. with flash.. directed straight at the graduates.. you are right, thought, I should have thought of something.

It sure was worth it. I agree. I also plan on finding out what is going to happen if I don't pay it. ;)
    If something happens, i'll let you know.
    My Site
    My Facebook