Pentax k-5 & Da 15.

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in Cameras
I has one. :D

Played with it for a bit, now letting the battery recharge the rest of the way. I hope to post some first impressions in a few days. Besides just "wow!"

Also picked up a 15mm DA f/4, which really deserves its own thread. I've only taken a few test shots with it, but yes, it controls my mind.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 26, 2011
    Congratulations and congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Very nicely done. Congrats!

I'm having a hard time choosing between the DA 15 and the DA 21, as I love the DA 35 and want a wider prime for motorcycle trips. Looking forward to your impressions as you get time to use it!

Also, that DA 15 thread probably sells more lenses than pentax's own meager marketing efforts. lol3.gif
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Re 15 vs. 21. The 21 is a pancake, but the 15 is still pretty small, close in size to the 35 macro. They both have very similar optical characteristics as far as I can tell. The thing about the 21 is that I have more options for other lenses that can cover that focal length. Plus, in a pinch I can always crop to zoom, but I can't crop wider. So that was my thinking. ne_nau.gif. You pays your moneys and you takes your choice. thumb.gif

Only downside to the 15 so far is the screw on cap. Would rather have a pinch cap or a cap like the 35.

Of course, the real question is, DA70, DA77 or DFA 100 Macro. :lol
    edited May 27, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    The thing about the 21 is that I have more options for other lenses that can cover that focal length.

I haven't upgraded my kit 18-55, which means I'm sort of limited to 21 or 24mm to get any sharpness and minimize distortion.

Ideally my motorcycle kit is DA 15 (landscapes), DA 35 (general and macro), and DA 55-300 (portrait and wildlife). I have a collapsing reflector and the fong puffer. All told that is a pretty tiny kit that can do just about anything.

I've been very impressed by the 55-300, it is usable wide open and stays F4 until ~105mm. I don't shoot many portraits, so the 70ish lenses aren't all that attractive, I would be more likely to pony up for the 60-250.

I should probably sell some unused film stuff and my FA 50 and just buy the 15.

Thanks alot, Mark. lol3.gif
    edited May 27, 2011
    What if I told you that the K-5 is smaller than your 200D? :lol Oh yeah, and very usable ISO 12800.
    edited May 27, 2011
    You're. Not. Helping!

I played with the K-5 in a shop and I will eventually buy one, more for the AF than the high ISO performance, that will just be a bonus. :D
    edited May 28, 2011
    And, you are apparently right about that thread selling DA15's: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/poll-648-a.html