Options

Andy, why should I?

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited October 9, 2005 in Cameras
Ok, I'll continue the discussion started here and continue it so that way we don't go way off-topic in the Buy/Sell.

Andy, I would be interested in hearing why I should switch.

Here's my reason's why not:
1) I had a 300D when they first came out. I didn't like the ergonomics (feel) of it. The controls weren't friendly...at least it seemed to me. Is the 1D/1Ds/5D that much different? The 5D looked to me exactly like the 20D which was like the 300D it seemed.

2) Cost. I have invested roughly $5000 so far in my equipment. To switch over would no doubt drive my wife crazy. :D

3) If it's full frame vs non full frame, then that arguement doesn't bother me. I'm more than satisfied with what I get now.

I really like how the D2H feels in my hands. I can navigate around it pretty easily! The D70 is getting left behind. So even if I wanted to switch, I would have to get a "1" series body, which means $$$.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Ok, I'll continue the discussion started here and continue it so that way we don't go way off-topic in the Buy/Sell.

1) I had a 300D when they first came out. I didn't like the ergonomics (feel) of it. The controls weren't friendly...at least it seemed to me. Is the 1D/1Ds/5D that much different? The 5D looked to me exactly like the 20D which was like the 300D it seemed.

2) Cost. I have invested roughly $5000 so far in my equipment. To switch over would no doubt drive my wife crazy. :D

3) If it's full frame vs non full frame, then that arguement doesn't bother me. I'm more than satisfied with what I get now.

I really like how the D2H feels in my hands. I can navigate around it pretty easily! The D70 is getting left behind. So even if I wanted to switch, I would have to get a "1" series body, which means $$$.

nup, not debating this one. i was only joking in the buy/sell thread. sorry didn't mean to rile you. i love nikon, and those who use it! there's room for everyone, nikon, canon, leica, oly, pentax, fuji, hey it's all good. we all have our preferences. i chose canon, but i'm not dumb enough to ever say that canon's better than anything. it's what i prefer, that's all. in the end, it's just a tool - to me, the photographer matters much more than the camera.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nup, not debating this one. i was only joking in the buy/sell thread. sorry didn't mean to rile you. i love nikon, and those who use it! there's room for everyone, nikon, canon, leica, oly, pentax, fuji, hey it's all good. we all have our preferences. i chose canon, but i'm not dumb enough to ever say that canon's better than anything. it's what i prefer, that's all. in the end, it's just a tool - to me, the photographer matters much more than the camera.
    Ok, I was keeping an eye on this one. :rambo

rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    Hey..no rile raised here! :):

I was just open for a good discussion. Besides, there is NO way you or anyone else could talk me out of my Nikons. :beatwax
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Here's the fastest way to get a debate going:

I hear they're getting 11-12 stops of dynamic range from the 1D's!!!

:-D

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Ok, I was keeping an eye on this one. :rambo

rolleyes1.gif

somebody had to blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Hey I heard you were going back to WORK!!! rolleyes1.gif
    mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    somebody had to blbl.gifyelrotflmao.gif
    Hey I heard you were going back to WORK!!! yelrotflmao.gif
    mwink.gif
    WORK!!!!! yikes.gif15524733-Ti.gif

Why you guys are using that four letter word so much today is beyond me. Lets remember that this is a PG rated site.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited October 6, 2005
    Across the hall, work is refered to as "work(sucks)". Always :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

That is the easiest question in the world to answer. You should switch so you can be cool too. thumb.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    That is the easiest question in the world to answer. You should switch so you can be cool too. thumb.gif
    That's what they said about Nehru jackets too. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Ahhh...yes of course. Nikon vs. Canon. A perfect excuse to use the following:

:deadhorse

Pretty happy with what I got, really :D
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    zigzag wrote:
    Ahhh...yes of course. Nikon vs. Canon. A perfect excuse to use the following:

:deadhorse

Pretty happy with what I got, really :D

Yeah but we do it with a :D . I've seen other sites where this would be a flame war by now with heavy casualties on both sides.
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Yeah but we do it with a :D . I've seen other sites where this would be a flame war by now with heavy casualties on both sides.
    Have you seen the new "Nikon" band aids it's reversabal

One side for "Canon user" other what else "Nikon user" rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif :wow :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited October 6, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Thank goodness this is DGRIN and we just don't do that here (war). Level heads are so much more constructive and friendly.

We can agree to disagree and agree that we can all be right and good. (I hope no one was eating just then.) I just wish I "could" afford all that photography has to offer in technology and equipment, then I wouldn't have to do without so much. :cry

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Here's the fastest way to get a debate going:

I hear they're getting 11-12 stops of dynamic range from the 1D's!!!

:-D

-Matt-
    You made me curious. Is it truly processing that many stops? How does it compare to the 5D? my understanding is that their chips are extremely similar composure, so in theory should collect 12 MP of the same quality of light...
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    That's what they said about Nehru jackets too. rolleyes1.gif
    oh, god, please tell me you don't have any pictures of me in one, Jamoke.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    JohnR wrote:

As a 300d owner and a new owner of a 20d, I feel pretty qualified to answer this. The 20d feels much more solid and "pro" than the plastic fantastic 300d. For me though, changing some things feels a bit more awkward with the 20d because you use the rear qucik control dial to change some settings and the top wheel for others, but I am sure I will get used to it.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8