Bringing In the Past

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in People
So I've got a really weird question. I have a 1 year shoot scheduled next weekend for a little boy. This is the first time I've done his portraits but I spoke extensively with his mother and we seem to be on the same page. She mentioned to me during our conversation that they have a motorcycle that used to belong to her brother that they would like to have photos of the child on - that it's a tradition they've started. Okay, no biggie, right?

Today I got a phone call from my BIL (who works with the mother of the child) and apparently she asked him if I was good with computers and he said yes. I seriously need to learn to shut that man up. Anyway, she talked about wanting me to try to have some sort of a shot where the baby was in it and where, I think, I superimpose a photo of her brother in it as well. I can run Photoshop fairly decently, but this is something that, honestly, I've never tried before nor have I ever seen it done really well. Any tips? Please?!

Comments

• dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I had do do something similar last year, I shot a group shot for an equipment staff then a week later they brought a new person in. I extracted him from the shot of him and pasted him into the group shot as a separate layer. The hardest part is getting the exposure and colors to look look the same.
    It can be very time consuming.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I would ask for a copy of the photo of the brother (which is hopefully her own and not copyrighted). This way you could see how feasible it is to match the lighting, which to me is the key to a natural looking composite.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I'm sure it will take me awhile to get the tone right - my biggest worry is how to add the deceased brother in without making it seem creepy or spooky while making it somewhat as a tribute - any thoughts??
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    As far as PP help, I'm not helpful... BUT as far as adding him into the photo without it being weird... I think 'adding' him in is really weird- as with any deceased person into an image. What I don't mind seeing though, is a nice framed photo of the person in the image. (Does that even make sense?). I have a similar situation coming up where they want the deceased "looking" down from the sky on the family, and I'm just not comfortable doing something like that, so I hope other folks have better suggestions!!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Yeah - I'm with you on the creepy factors. I try to make my clients happy and to give them what they want. this may be a toughie!1
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Any attempt at making it look like they are actually together in the here and now I agree would be very creepy. But what if you approached it non-realistically. I picture it more like a movie poster where the deceased is large and ghosted out in the background to get across the idea that he is still there in spirit.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album