Just ordered a 35L. What have I done?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 28, 2011 in Cameras
I already have the 35/2. Dammit, why do I have to have such expensive taste? $1200 more for that last 2%?? Man I have a problem. I hope I see a difference in colors, bokeh, sharpness, AF, etc.

I can justify it by the shooting I do for hire on the side, but man, the price still stings and the sticker shock will be with me until it arrives Tuesday!!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    I feel for you. We should start a support group. rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    haha... I find that discussing gear with like-minded friends only makes me want to buy more gear!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Yall would end up telling each other what to buy is what you'd do
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I already have the 35/2. Dammit, why do I have to have such expensive taste? $1200 more for that last 2%?? Man I have a problem. I hope I see a difference in colors, bokeh, sharpness, AF, etc.

I can justify it by the shooting I do for hire on the side, but man, the price still stings and the sticker shock will be with me until it arrives Tuesday!!

Congrats! Where did you get it? I am looking for one, but the price gone up to over $1500 already. I am waiting Canon refurb now, but it is always out of stock.

Eric
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I feel for you. We should start a support group. rolleyes1.gif
    some of us are past the return point, I think. not without your help, either, sir.. ;)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited May 27, 2011
    Got it at Hunt's. $1479 plus tax, they didn't have one in the store but it's free shipping to my door. Suppose I could have gotten it from B&H or Adorama and saved the tax, but felt like giving some love to my local Hunt's and I'll have it sooner. Their prices were $1499 anyway. Been watching a few used ones on ebay, but they seem to be going for $1400 there. I think at this rate, $100 is a small price to pay for a brand new lens and making a camera salesman's day.
    -Jack

• mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    You won't regret it. I sold my 35/2 a day after getting my 35/1.4. I had intended to send the 1.4 back when I got it if it wasn't a big improvement over the f/2 - and it was.
    edited May 28, 2011
    awesome. care to elaborate? got a sample image?
    -Jack

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    The big difference between the f/2 and the f/1.4 is build quality, USM, colors, and contrast. Welcome to the fold. :) I can live with just the 35L!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    awesome. care to elaborate? got a sample image?

201105207D44968-M.jpg
    edited May 28, 2011
    woomp! there it is!
    -Jack

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    too bad the Canon 35mm 1.4 isn't weather sealed. :cry
    edited May 28, 2011
    yeah, that is the fly in the ointment. oh well, guess I won't shoot any wet t-shirt contests with it.
    -Jack

• DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    yeah, that is the fly in the ointment. oh well, guess I won't shoot any wet t-shirt contests with it.

Or... make it the reason for buying the 24L as well :photo

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here