Options

Outdoor 12 People on Steps - Evening Ligt

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited May 27, 2011 in Technique
Next week I will be taking photo of 10 to 12 people on steps outside of a church on its North side around 7:00pm EDT. Light is even although not bright at that time. Sun will set around 8:30pm or a little later.

I haven't been much of a flash user until recently so here is the question:

To get all the people in one photo in full length shot, do I use direct flash on the camera straight on with no diffuser, do I use a flash with some type of umbrella or portable softbox? What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Remember your flash coverage is generally equal to your normal lens viewing angle so should cover "full length"---if it has the power. Best would be two flashes on either side of the group. Aim each diagonally to the far side of center so they "cross" each other. 12 is not that large of a group, but a larger flash (monolight) in a softbox would be ideal (although if you are a distance back the softbox starts to become a point light source. Bigger the box the better).

Straight on if you only have one. Higher flash position also would be a bit better, assuming people will be up the steps.

If you don't have flashes that are part of your camera system a flash meter will be a handy item. You will also be faced with rapidly changing light so while your flash exposure may stay constant, the background and relative lighting will change every few minutes.

Also with a large group be careful not to go too wide an aperture, back row folks will be out of focus.

Good luck.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Remember your flash coverage is generally equal to your normal lens viewing angle so should cover "full length"---if it has the power. Best would be two flashes on either side of the group. Aim each diagonally to the far side of center so they "cross" each other. 12 is not that large of a group, but a larger flash (monolight) in a softbox would be ideal (although if you are a distance back the softbox starts to become a point light source. Bigger the box the better).

Straight on if you only have one. Higher flash position also would be a bit better, assuming people will be up the steps.

If you don't have flashes that are part of your camera system a flash meter will be a handy item. You will also be faced with rapidly changing light so while your flash exposure may stay constant, the background and relative lighting will change every few minutes.

Also with a large group be careful not to go too wide an aperture, back row folks will be out of focus.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your response. I didn't know about using two flashes and crossing over the center.

I will do some testing before hand.
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil