Options

Photographers WITHOUT a Studio

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited June 2, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
For you guys out there that do portraits but down have your own studio, how do you deal with that when a client calls or wants to hire you?
I know not all work will require a studio, but for those that want those type of images, what then?

Do you tell potential clients that you can shoot at their location, do you own a portable background system?
What's the best way to retain that potential client with this restriction?

Thanks in advance.R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I only do outdoor photography...hence the name All Outdoor Photography. A non issue for me.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    I own a portable backdrop although it's a bit cumbersome if you get one that's too big if you have to set it up alone. If its just bust portraits a nice 6x9 muslin backdrop stand setup is real easy to set up and carry.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    thank you zoomer, very helpful. Laughing.gif!!!!!!thumb.gif

I'm not worry about gear stuff. What I'm looking for is the approach to the client. Do you tell him I don't have a studio and will do it at their residence for example??

R.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2011
    Overfocused,
    with the muslin, do you ever run into wrinckle issues with it? I've heard that in the past, so I was looking for more of a seamless paper solution.

R.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    rickp wrote: »
    thank you zoomer, very helpful. Laughing.gif!!!!!!thumb.gif

I'm not worry about gear stuff. What I'm looking for is the approach to the client. Do you tell him I don't have a studio and will do it at their residence for example??

R.

I don't have a studio. I suggest that a nice outdoor photo would be good, but if they want a studio type setting, then I have a backdrop stand, umbrella etc. And can quickly convert my deck or my patio or my living room to serve the purpose. I have a large, north facing window in my LR for light on one side and strobes for the rest.

I have to be flexible because here, in Maritime Canada, we have a lot of cold, damp weather. basically nine months of winter and three months of poor sledding! (slight exaggeration)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    Overfocused,
    with the muslin, do you ever run into wrinckle issues with it? I've heard that in the past, so I was looking for more of a seamless paper solution.

R.

It does have wrinkles but for close individual portraits and a small 6x9 foot backdrop setting, DOF phases them out very easily, especially with 85mm and 100mm lenses at open apertures. You could roll the muslin on a 6 foot pole and fit it wherever to prevent wrinkles too like you would paper. The only downside of mobile paper is that its easy to destroy those things quickly if you're not careful.

For large group portraits, full body, and other large settings, you may just need to get a muslin. Since you're mobile, you can't fold a 10 or 12 foot wide roll of paper in half to fit in your car :D The wrinkles can become more apparent the farther you back up since DOF widens a bit at longer focal lengths. You can get away with rolling it up and folding it in half to have just 1 crease down the center that would be easy to deal with. Bring a pole that'll let you roll it up easily cause you'll never be able to do that stuff by hand... I'd know. Lol. I need to develop a rod that lets me attach the corners, roll it, and remove the rod to fold it in half.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    Rick:

I don't know where you are because you don't have your location posted but if you're in any of the bigger cities; New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, et al, there are rentable studio spaces.

Certainly here in the heart of Hollywood you trip over them and they usually are fully rigged with assorted seamless and canvas as well as some basic lights.

http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+studios+for+rent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    For you guys out there that do portraits but down have your own studio, how do you deal with that when a client calls or wants to hire you?
    I know not all work will require a studio, but for those that want those type of images, what then?

Do you tell potential clients that you can shoot at their location, do you own a portable background system?
    What's the best way to retain that potential client with this restriction?

Thanks in advance.R.

Better be honest. No point hiring a studio when you do not know how to operate it.

For serious portraits you need a background (and lighting). Like anything else this needs practice. Better have something that works out-of-the box - no crinkles. Like a lot of wealthy amateurs I tend to rely on the lens bokeh rather than fuss around.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    goldenballs,
    I totally agree with you, and I would never missrepresent myself. I have everything for portraits, lighting, background etc... But for someone just starting and doing it part time what the best way to approach that limitation for those type of images.

R.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    thanks guys for the info. All good stuff to think of.
    I'm in miami Fl so I'm sure there's studio rentals around here too.

I'll update my profile.

thanks
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I also do the portable backdrop thing. Here's my setup BTS from a martial arts photoshoot:

5769461746_676dfe6ec7_z.jpg
    Karate Photo Shoot Behind the Scenes by kevingeary, on Flickr
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    I bought a steamer at Walmart just for steaming out unwanted creases in whatever backdrop I use on location.
    even if it is just 1 crease it always seems to cause a problem........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    rickp -
    I do not have a studio, but I actually use that as a selling point. I stress that we specialize in outdoor & location photography so that we may better capture our clients in settings that reflect their personalities and interests. (We have portable studio lighting for homes and indoor locations if necessary.) Our website has galleries that show a large variety of portraits in obviously non-studio settings, so that potential clients see our style and know what to expect if they choose us to do their portraits. We do not see the lack of a studio as a weakness, so we do not try to figure out ways to make excuses for it.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    philsphotographyphilsphotography Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    I do all of my "studio" work on location. When indoors I love my Alien Bees studio lights. I have paper and muslin backgrounds. But I very much prefer outdoor locations.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Phil Forister
    www.philsphoto.com
  • Options
    ghirschghirsch Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 31, 2011
    I'm currently doing headshots part-time, and the studio question has been a non-issue for me. I tell my clients that I'm a location photographer and visit the client where they are located. So this isn't a negative whatsoever. If anything, it makes my clients' lives easier. They don't have to come to me, I go to them. People are busy, I save them time. If there is a negative, it's that I'm eating the gas costs (and assuming wear/tear on my car). But saving $$$ on studio space. A great trade off in my opinion.

As for backdrops, I purchased a 5' x 6' black velvet backdrop from B&H photo (Lastolite) + backdrop stand. You don't need much more than that for headshots. An apple box is a handy purchase for posing the client. Two Alien Bees with diffusion, a pro lens and you're golden. I do plan to purchase a muslin backdrop or two as well....

Re: getting business, I started by doing headshots for a friend - told her I'd provide her with (5) retouched photos for free, in exchange for referrals. I've made $1,400 in referrals as a result from this one contact.
  • Options
    melrhombusmelrhombus Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2011
    I would setup and dismantle my "studio" in the living room of my small flat as I needed using mostly Lastolite gear.
    I find their stuff is easy to manage/clean/store/setup and is generally of good build quality. What I like the most is a lot of their stuff can be used with flashguns so you get dual purpose with you flash.

Nothing beats a real studio space and actual studio lamps but with the right gear and some patience you can do some nice work in a limited space.