Options

Disc-burning Issues

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited December 17, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
In the past year I've had two instances of clients reporting empty DVDs.

In both cases, I double-checked each disc to make sure the files were there before I mailed them out.

In both cases, the clients reported trying a few different computers, with different OSs, all to no avail.

What causes this to happen, I wonder. Coincidentally (or not), in both instances, the DVDs were burned on my computer that runs Vista.

?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,873 moderator
    edited May 27, 2011
    What burning software are you using?

What specific format are you burning to? DVD-R, DVD+R, ?

Are you finalizing the disk?

Are you using an extended disk format?

What recording speed are you using and what recording speed are the disks rated to?

For Windows machines I rather like to use Ashampoo Burning Studio (free version). This limits the format type to mostly a very compatible format and does not allow extended disks. As long as you finalize the disk it should be compatible with a wide variety of players. There is still the possibility that some disk types cannot be read on some other players, for a variety of reasons.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2011
    The operating system would not really matter, what would matter is if the disks were Finalized. When the disk is Finalized it should work in any computer. If you get the disks back see if you can add files to it on your computer if you can it has not been finalized.

Ziggy but type faster than me.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    The operating system would not really matter, what would matter is if the disks were Finalized. When the disk is Finalized it should work in any computer. If you get the disks back see if you can add files to it on your computer if you can it has not been finalized.

Ziggy but type faster than me.

As far as I know the discs (DVDs) were finalized. Since I'm not at that computer, I can't tell you any more.

Burn4Free has worked dependably for me in the past (tho not sure it's free anymore), will check out Ashampoo (though I have already washed my hair today).
    Thanks!
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    As far as I know the discs (DVDs) were finalized. Since I'm not at that computer, I can't tell you any more.

Burn4Free has worked dependably for me in the past (tho not sure it's free anymore), will check out Ashampoo (though I have already washed my hair today).
    Thanks!
    My Vote: IMG Burn!
    tom wise
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    my vote: Img burn!
    +1
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... For Windows machines I rather like to use Ashampoo Burning Studio (free version). This limits the format type to mostly a very compatible format and does not allow extended disks. As long as you finalize the disk it should be compatible with a wide variety of players. There is still the possibility that some disk types cannot be read on some other players, for a variety of reasons.

An update on Ashampoo Burning Studio:

I finally updated to the latest version of this software and they:

Spammed my computer
    Changed my home page
    Added a marketing toolbar
    Changed my startup pages
    Changed my default search engine

Needless to say, I deleted their software and I will never use or recommend them again. I'm truly sorry for anyone who tried their stuff on my recommendation and I hope you didn't have to go what I just went through. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Granted, I know how to change stuff back, and fortunately they didn't seem to do anything truly malicious. No permanent damage, just an inconvenience.

Everyone please stay away from Ashampoo Burning Studio.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011

I finally updated to the latest version of this software and they:

Spammed my computer
    Changed my home page
    Changed my startup pages

Needless to say, I deleted their software and I will never use or recommend them again. I'm truly sorry for anyone who tried their stuff on my recommendation and I hope you didn't have to go what I just went through. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Granted, I know how to change stuff back, and fortunately they didn't seem to do anything truly malicious. No permanent damage, just an inconvenience.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that! Sounds like they decided to change the way they interpret free. I take it it was during the install process that all this took place?
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about that! Sounds like they decided to change the way they interpret free. I take it it was during the install process that all this took place?

Unfortunately yes, the install automatically made all of those browser changes. Fortunately, it only affected my default browser settings (Chrome). The other browsers that I use seem unaffected.

I did not see an "opt out" capability, or I would have used that to avoid the changes. I did complain to Ashampoo about the practice and they have not replied. I do refuse to use software from any manufacturer with these spammy practices. This is close to a trojan horse activity.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011

Spammed my computer
    Changed my home page
    Changed my startup pages

you made me curious , so i downloaded and installed
    conclusion ; no problem
    you just forgot one golden rule ; do not use AUTO but user-setup
    then you can un-check the additional items

after install , and reboot ;
    in Firefox [ my default ] is nothing changed
    in explorer the search engine , but explorer asked my nicely if i wanted to keep or not
    also , i did see no add's yet

so ;
    if one cannot afford Roxio or Nero , Ashampoo is an alternative
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    you made me curious , so i downloaded and installed
    conclusion ; no problem
    you just forgot one golden rule ; do not use AUTO but user-setup
    then you can un-check the additional items

after install , and reboot ;
    in Firefox [ my default ] is nothing changed
    in explorer the search engine , but explorer asked my nicely if i wanted to keep or not
    also , i did see no add's yet

so ;
    if one cannot afford Roxio or Nero , Ashampoo is an alternative

Aha, good to know. I still won't use any software that automatically pushes this much onto my machine. It's just a poor practice that I hope to discourage.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    and , before i forget [ re, IMG BURN ] ;

burning an image is something else then burning an image to a disk
    sounds confusing , but its a world of different

i advice OP to invest in a known commercial app , Roxio , or Nero
    both are good , although i prefer Roxio myself
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2011
    another +1 for ROXIO ... been using for aobut 10yrs now....newver liked Nero, wasn't as friendly to me.

Edit: It is also a very good idea to have an external CD/DVD burner/player to beable to check burned
    disks on. It has saved my butt more than once... and they are getting dirt cheap also....my last one
    was under $80 at Wally World and it has been running for 5 yrs now. I like HP with Lightscribe for labeling
    disks. For labeling I use SURETHING software.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website