canon 100-400mm f4-5.6 windy day zoom shot

RustyJBRustyJB Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited May 28, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
how would you rate this lens with just these shotsa1GalvestonBeachIMG000744-L.jpg
and then this zoomed into area shown on previous image.a2GalvestonBeachIMG000984-L.jpg:dunno

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 28, 2011
    The magnification is impressive. The EXIF data show that you were shooting #2 at f/5.6, which may explain why the people in the water are sharper than the boats and oil rig. I'd be curious to see what it does when stopped down to f/8.
  • RustyJBRustyJB Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The magnification is impressive. The EXIF data show that you were shooting #2 at f/5.6, which may explain why the people in the water are sharper than the boats and oil rig. I'd be curious to see what it does when stopped down to f/8.

the ships and rig are actually much further down the beach, telephoto really compressed the distance

i've been thinking about doing the Auto Focus Micro adjustment on all my lenses to see if i can improve clarity with my 5DMkII, may start today.
    was at the beach yesterday and thought it was a good opportunity to see how far my reach was at 400mm with that lens, not too bad, i will try next time i get down to Galveston after calibration, 5.6 and 8
    sun was really harsh and there was heat distortion that i could see rising off the black pavement in some shots
    Thank You for commenting, will try the f8 setting