Options

Painting a Layer Mask

Tutorials and ReviewsTutorials and Reviews Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 138
edited May 18, 2005 in Tutorials
Painting a Layer Mask

Tutorial by DavidTO.

I was recently processing a bunch of pictures that I took of this couple for their engagement photos. Painting layer mask after layer mask, I thought, I need to write a tutorial on this.

Painting layer masks is something that I do a lot.It allows you to break the image down into zones and give those zones different treatments. Sometimes it's color, or contrast, or saturation, or maybe some selective blurring. Whatever the reason, being able to paint layer masks is really helpful.
120329036_TZ5p2-O.jpg

So here we have a pretty decent shot of this young couple. There are a few things that I know I want to do to it right away. I want to bring the background down a bit. I think it's a little overexposed. I also notice that their complexions are very different. She's on the yellow side, he on the magenta. So, right from the start I know that I want at least two layer masks: one for the background, and one for him, to make him more yellow so that his skin tone matches hers better.

NOTE: In this tutorial I'm assuming that I don't have to explain to you the mechanics of layer masks in any detail. If you don't understand how layer masks work, or you get confused partway through this tutorial, you might want to check out our Layer Masks Mechanics tutorial.

The first thing to do is to open a curves adjustment layer. This is found in the Layer menu. Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Curves.
120329133_qWTHo-S-1.png

Or you can go to your layers palette, pictured here, and use the adjustment layer menu there, the circle that's half black, half white...

...and select "Curves...".
120329149_ARpuQ-S-1.png

Here's the curves move that I made for the background of this image.
120329666_rpLrX-S-1.png

And here's the result.
120329101_A48yZ-O.jpg

While the background is OK, the couple is way too dark. We need to selectively remove the affect of the curves adjustment layer from the couple. We do this by painting a layer mask.
120329228_DaoPc-S-1.png

When we added the curves adjustment layer, this is what happened to our layers palette. We have a new layer. You see the half white/half black circle indicating that it's and adjustment layer. There's a box filled with white which indicates the layer mask. Remember, white reveals, black conceals. So the parts of the mask that are white will reveal the affects of that adjustment layer, and the parts that are black will conceal.

Right now the entire mask is white. This is right in keeping with the fact that the entire image is being affected by the curves adjustment that I made.
120329260_MjRzH-S-1.png

Select the brush tool, and make sure you set the hardness to 0%. You can adjust the Master Diameter to suit. Make it big enough to be convenient, but not so big that it's unwieldy. The size completely depends on the resolution of the image and the size of the area you want to paint. But always 0%.

Make sure that you select the default colors. While in the brush tool, simply type "d" for default colors. If you want to change the foreground color, type "x".

So in this case, since we want to paint in black right now, type "d", then "x".
120330419_AwbKF-S-1.png

After you paint just a bit, hit the backslash key (the one above the return key on most keyboards). This will show you your layer mask that you're painting in a red overlay.
120329515_Xy6ns-S-2.png

While you're viewing the red overlay of the layer mask, you can hit "`" (tilde) (this is the key next to the number 1, and above the TAB key on most keyboards), which will hide the "RGB" layer (which holds the color information of the image) and show you just the mask. This is really helpful for finding parts of the mask that you missed. Toggle back and forth by hitting "`" until you're happy. When you're done, hit backslash again, and the layer mask will disappear. If you were only viewing the layer mask, as in the image here, then you'll be popped back into RGB mode, and see just the image.
120329624_NyPmo-S-1.png

And this is what we get. We've restored the couple, but kept the curves adjustment on the background.
120329952_SNpfq-S-1.png

You'll notice that I didn't have to obsess on the selection. you don't need to worry about every nook and cranny of the image. With a hardness of 0% and a sufficiently large brush the border is soft enough that you just can't see it.

Now I want to attack the man's magenta skin.

Open a new curves adjustment layer, and hit "cmd-3" (ctl-3, PC) and you get the blue channel of the RGB curves.
120330007_25PGm-S-1.png

Cmd-click (ctl-click, PC) on his skin to get the range of blue in his face.

When you control click, you put a marker in the curve. A handle, that you can adjust the curve with. Just use your up and down arrows to adjust. In this case, we want to make the blue darker, which will increase the yellow in the image, so we'll use the down arrow.
120330036_Vwtey-S-1.png

It doesn't take a very big move to get enough yellow in his face.
120330832_9CY3t-S-1.png

This is what our layers palette looks like. Oh, dang, we didn't label our layers. We'll get to that soon. Remember to label layers so that they make sense if you ever go back to work on the image at a later time.
120330063_QQPmv-S-1.png

So, that move made everything too yellow. But we can fix that with painting our layer mask!
120330366_Da2E7-S.png

Here's the layer mask I painted, after I hit the backslash key to see the mask.
120330668_Jbqic-S-1.png

And again, hitting "`" shows my just the mask.
120330742_9cqZR-S-1.png

Looking good.

Here's our layers palette.
120330806_FHHGZ-S-1.png

And here's our image.
120331144_ifFbV-S-1.png

Dang, I went too far with making him yellow, I think.

No problem, just dial back the opacity of that layer. Here I've got it set at 58%.
120331199_MyWFP-S-1.png

I also decided that she was a touch too magenta, so I did global shift with the blue channel of the curves. Now layer mask needed for that.

If you option-click (alt-click, PC) on the Background layer, you'll toggle between just the Background layer, and all the layers.
120331222_e78fT-S-1.png

Toggle back and forth, looking for any other problems. Since you haven't touched the base image you can fix any mistakes you may have made.

And here's the result.
120331498_amnoy-S-1.png

Here's an animation showing what you would see if you toggled between before and after.
120331760_XuZnE-L-3.png