Options

Old sepia photo effect

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited May 30, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi everyone
i hope all is well in your end of the world , seems i have a problem that i cant sort out until i get some help. Having a very large collection of photographs of vintage and classic cars seems redundant for sales unless i can give them an edge over my competitors. I am currently using Adobe Photoshop Cs5 and i would love to be able to create this effect
1853011098_93234b23d1_z.jpg
The Great Racehorse "Assault" - Famous Winner of the 7th Triple Crown and Jockey Eddie Arcaro by sunnybrook100, on Flickr
I can create the white canvas and the writing no problem. But i am having trouble getting that little black line inside the canvas and turning the whole photograph and canvas sepia.
Could anyone here help please?

Regards
Patrick:D

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Easy,

Under image, adjustment, color filter choose sepia. Adjust to taste.

Use the rectangle marque tool to draw a box around your image then under edit choose stroke. Then specify color and size of the stroke.

Sam
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    Thanks Sam
    i will give it a go.

Regards
    Patrick.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    5768163817_8980aa5068.jpg
    IMG_55771 by OakField Photography, on Flickr

hope this looks good. justa a tester anyway.

Pat.:D
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    5768893352_9d16bba1fe_b.jpg
    IMG_5559 by OakField Photography, on Flickr

Well this is my last attempt at trying to get my text right. Unfortunatly i can get the text to run down the side of the photograph but nothing like the phograph of the horse. Is there a way that i can type my text and then turn it vertical for the right side of the photo? I could type vertical but this does not look right.

Regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2011
    There's an absolutely fabulous free PS action out there for a sepia effect - I think it's called something like "Sue's Vintage action" (sorry, don't have it to hand just now) - google around and if you can't find it post back and I'll dig out the details. It's very good, very easy to run (assuming it will run under CS5 - I use CS3) and gives you a choice of faded colour or true sepia.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    ok Divamum i will give it a go.
    Thanks
    Patrick:D
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    There's an absolutely fabulous free PS action out there for a sepia effect - I think it's called something like "Sue's Vintage action" (sorry, don't have it to hand just now) - google around and if you can't find it post back and I'll dig out the details. It's very good, very easy to run (assuming it will run under CS5 - I use CS3) and gives you a choice of faded colour or true sepia.

Hi Divamum.
    i downloaded and tried some of sues actions but could not find her sepia effects actions. I tried some of her other actions but they are not really suited to old cars. Mabey you could find this for me as i am having no luck at all.
    Regards
    Patrickheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Patrick, the sepia effect you used looks great, but the image still looks like a modern photo. It needs some grain added to it, and maybe some levels adjustment to make it a bit lighter.

You may find this useful; it's a roundup of several tutorials on how to achieve a vintage photo look with modern images:
    http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/vintage-aging-photo-effects-photoshop-tutorials/
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    Under your text tool should be vertical text or type tool use that instead of trying to rotate the text......put all text on a separate layer so you can move it around to exact position, I also save all my layered projects with layers intact so that if I need to move or make a change I can.....then I flatten, merge or both and save the flattened image for printing....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    You know, Patrick, you got me ta' thinkin' with this, so I tried it myself. I use Photoshop Elements, so my technique will be pretty different than what you will use in CS3, but it seemed to work okay.

Original
    th2010-09-29_088.jpg

Vintage
    th2010-09-29_088vintage.jpg

This is the process I used in Elements:

1) Old Paper effect
    --a) Enlarge the canvas (I went 20%, giving me enough room for the box and text later) using White as the Extension color
    --b) In the Effects palette, select the Old Paper effect

The image now has a monochrome old paper look to it.

2) Create the black outline:
    --a) Create a new layer, make it current, drag it to the top of the Layers list
    --b) Use Rectangular Marquee tool to select an area for the black outline
    --c) Edit-> Stroke (Outline) Selection... (set stroke width at about 10px, color Black, Location "Inside", Mode "Normal", Opacity 100%)

3) Add text with the Text tool, move and rotate into preferred position

4) Add sepia tone/parchment layer to finish
    --a) Add new layer, make it current, drag it to the top of the Layers list
    --b) Set Foreground color to RGB 255, 215, 97 and Background color to White
    --c) Use Fill tool to fill entire layer with solid color
    --d) Filter-> Render-> Clouds (this creates a parchment paper effect)
    --e) Change opacity of parchment layer to 30%

It's not perfect, but it's not a bad effect.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Here's a color version I did with a different technique.

th2010-09-29_088vintage2.jpg

1) Faded Effect
    --a) Layer-> New-> Layer Via Copy
    --b) Enlarge the canvas 20% w/ white as the extension color
    --c) In the Layers palette, select the top-most layer
    --d) Enhance-> Adjust Color-> Remove Color
    --e) Filter-> Other-> High Pass (set Radius to 250px and click OK)
    --f) Set Opacity of High Pass layer to 80%
    --i) Layer-> New-> Layer From Background
    --j) Set Opacity of Background layer to 80%

The image now has a faded, old photo look to it.

2) Create the black outline:
    --a) Create a new layer, make it current, drag it to the top of the Layers list
    --b) Use Rectangular Marquee tool to select an area for the black outline
    --c) Edit-> Stroke (Outline) Selection... (set stroke width at about 10px, color Black, Location "Inside", Mode "Normal", Opacity 100%)

3) Add text with the Text tool, move and rotate into preferred position

4) Add sepia tone/parchment layer to finish
    --a) Add new layer, make it current, drag it to the bottom of the Layers list
    --b) Set Foreground color to RGB 255, 215, 97 and Background color to White
    --c) Use Fill tool to fill entire layer with solid color
    --d) Filter-> Render-> Clouds (this creates a parchment paper effect)
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2011
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    Looks great, Sam. But it needs more grain or noise to look like an old photo.

Anyone know of a filter or action that creates fake "tears" or dust spots on an image?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2011
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Anyone know of a filter or action that creates fake "tears" or dust spots on an image?

See the "Jenny" action I linked above. It does exactly that thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2011
    Hi all
    I have been on a shoot all day sunday and i havent had time to get back on here. I can see that i need to do more to my picture and i will take a look at this seriously tomorrow as i have 5 or 600 images to edit first. I am booked out next saturday and sunday and the weekend afterwards as well so i wont have much time to experiment. I will try out some of your suggestions tomorrow night as time is at a premium at the moment. Thanks for all of the ideas and i will be in contact soon.

Regards
    Patrick.:D

Ps just slipped a 16 gig card full of raw files and it looks like this alone is going to take about an hour and a half to copy to my laptop.rolleyes1.gif