First E-Session!

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited July 26, 2011 in People
Did my first Engagement in Central park for a couple Im shooting a wedding for in September.

The client hasnt seen these yet and was looking for feedback before I present them to them.
Let me know what you all think, please.

1.untitled-2-L.jpg

untitled-14-L.jpg

untitled-22-L.jpg

untitled-26-L.jpg

untitled-28-L.jpg

untitled-39-L.jpg

-untitled-42-L.jpg

untitled-45-L.jpg

untitled-48-L.jpg

untitled-61-L.jpg

untitled-63-L.jpg

Thanks for looking! This was my first E-Session and was a little nervous but I pulled through. If you have any suggestions on how I couldve done things better or differently, please let me know!

Comments

• JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    I have never done an E-Session myself but I think you did fine. Not sure what you are after in #1 but if its the woman's skirt/dress I guess its alright. I like #2 better than #3. The rest are nice but I think I like #10 and #11 best and of those two I think #11 edges out #10 for winner.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    All the shots technically speaking seem nice, and I don't really have issues with anything in particular. BUT as a larger lady myself, I don't think many of the poses are flattering for her.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ValerieJeanValerieJean Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    I would have like everything about #1 better if there wasn't someone distracting the view of their hands holding, as well as the focus being on the hands rather than her dress. #3 I also agree is not very flattering for her body type. .. . Some of the shadows/poses are bothering me, like #8, if her knees were closer together and angled off to the side instead of flat feet on the ground, as well as them both sitting up straighter. And if his face completely blocking the sun on her face rather than just half of a shadow right through her face, and then using some kind of reflector to brighten their faces without using a flash and killing the whole shadow mood. They are very nice though.... just some things to think about when composition is at hand. I love #4's concept but I think it'd make her ring stand out more if the image were in black and white? but 7,9,10 are my favorite
    I never question what to do, it tells me what to do. The photographs make themselves with my help. ~Ruth Bernhard
  • theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    A Lot of good shots there. It is a great idea to take shots from different angles and perspectives as some work better for different body shapes. I think #3 might have worked better with them not so straight on to the camera (not a big deal though as you always get some that don't work well). I would suggest trying to get a few more face shots/closeups though in the next session you do.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    On a large woman never, did I say never, turn them straight into the camera. That will make them as large as possible. Always try when you can to turn them on a 45 then bring the foot closest to you over in front of the body a bit. That will help to make the hips less wide. Also have them put their weight on the back foot.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    On a large woman never, did I say never, turn them straight into the camera. That will make them as large as possible. Always try when you can to turn them on a 45 then bring the foot closest to you over in front of the body a bit. That will help to make the hips less wide. Also have them put their weight on the back foot.

This is absolutely RIGHT!!!!

...and...the described posing will thin anyone. I usually demonstrate to my clients if they are haveing trouble staying 45 degrees to the camera. I just turn myself straight on and say...."watch how thin I get"...and start turning. Seeing is believing.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone. I see exactly what you all mean! Coming from only landscape, Im very new to posing people and am somewhat shy about it and thought it would be a challenging day. My assistant had to cancel on me at the last moment (her mom passed away) and I brought my gf along to hold the reflector and she learned along the way.

Thanks for the advice, Ill be shooting thier wedding in Oct and really want to do a good job for them as theyre close friends of mine.
  • ValerieJeanValerieJean Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone. I see exactly what you all mean! Coming from only landscape, Im very new to posing people and am somewhat shy about it and thought it would be a challenging day. My assistant had to cancel on me at the last moment (her mom passed away) and I brought my gf along to hold the reflector and she learned along the way.

Thanks for the advice, Ill be shooting thier wedding in Oct and really want to do a good job for them as theyre close friends of mine.

Well you did a really good job, just keep practicing. Every person on this forum are always practicing and learning, no matter how much experience they have.. thumb.gif
    I never question what to do, it tells me what to do. The photographs make themselves with my help. ~Ruth Bernhard
  • AmandaMFMAmandaMFM Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I think you did very well for your frist go around. Just think the only direction to go is to get better! I think #1 is good but I agree that it would be better if the person in the middle wasn't there and if the focus was on the hands and not the dress. That being said I love the angle.

I think #9 is my favorite. Getting the sun to behave like that is always a treat.
    Amanda
    Calgary Portrait Photographer
    www.amandamcpheephotography.com
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    I think #6 would be fantastic if there weren't people in the background. Matter of fact, I think i'd crop that shot right where the gal's hair starts.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    IMO people are being way too harsh on this set. A lot of intelligent decisions were made here with light and comps to flatter her. The wider shots are great...as are the closer crops. Yes...there is ONE image with her square to camera.

Keep in mind the female subject not only wore a poofy dress but the lower half was also in white.

I've seen a lot "worse" portrists get far better comments here.

I think the maker did a good job considering the challenged presented. The input on that I would give is to shoot some from higher angle on her.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    My two cents (actually 1.2 cents in this economy):

I don't get # 1 at all.

I like everything after # 3 and #s 10 & 11 are spectacular.

I agree about the difficulties of posing the larger women (I learned that the hard way with plus size models) but overall I think your friends (the clients) will (and should be) very happy.

Using that as the only really valid criteria, you did a great job.

By the way, PM me with your location. It looks like we're neighbors.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    10 and 11 are great and my favorites out of the bunch. 4&5 are also good. #6 I agree with Foques in that I would crop it right were her hair starts as the people in the background are distracting.

Over all thought it's a nice set and I'm sure your clients will be happy!
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    2 7 8 for me. For me, 2 is my favorite from the set.
    10 needs a crop from the bottom.
    11 if you had taken this from a lower angle more of the couple would have been in the photo, above the horizon.
    1 3 4 5 are cropped to tight. If you crop off a small part of an appendage, crop it more so it looks like meant to do it.
    If the entire appendage is present, leave some space in the frame, don't run it right up to the edge.

It is very easy to nit pick photos someone (anyone) posts. My critique is meant to help out for the next time.

Ok so it looks like a first e-session as advertised. The photos are OK, about what they would have expected for your experience level, they should be happy with the shots, I think you did pretty well.
    You have some creative shots and with some polish and experience...you will probably be good at this.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Thanks so much everyone!
    Just wanted to pay homage for all the constructive criticism here. With all this help, thier wedding should go a little more smoothly and I look forward to a little more cropping! :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Well done with 8 & 9!clap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix