Options

How to create the Twilight/Vampire look?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited June 13, 2011 in Finishing School
I am hoping someone can point me to a tutorial for this look. I have seen some Youtube videos but they are not tutorials..just one of those show casing thing.

In my search I have not yielded much. Here is the link to what I am going after ..Twilight

More the guy look with that white skin and stuff.

Thanx for any help
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    A very quick look at the sample leads to the following suggestions:

* You will likely need to shoot with controlled lighting and or take the lighting into account if shooting outdoors and then plan on doing some work in post processing. Makeup may also be involved.

* There will be some major noise reduction and skin smoothing going on.

* There will be a contrast enhancing element similar to HDR tonemapping (this may not be HDR though, just similar).

* One will probably be desaturating or shifting the hue of the skintone hue range and perhaps other hues (a little or a lot depends on lighting, model etc).

* A high key image may be shot, or perhaps made in post from a regular range image.

I think that if you saw the before/after images you would appreciate all the work that goes into this look. In some ways it reminds me of some styles of fashion photography, with the usual "Hollywood" stylized Photoshop post work (have a look at different movie posters, there is a common theme to many). As mentioned above, it is probably a skilled combination of photography, makeup, lighting and post processing.

P.S. Perhaps do a search for Halloween post processing for ideas.

Hope this helps,

Stephen Marsh

http://binaryfx.customer.netspace.net.au/ (coming soon!)
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    This isn't the easiest effect to replicate..and it's degree of difficulty will vary quite a bit on an image to image basis. As with most cases where you're making major modifications to one part of an image, you'll have to either mask out or duplicate the skin so we can go ahead and make major modifications without effecting the whole image. After the masking is done, this gets a lot easier, all you have to do is drop saturation by around 60-80% to get rid of any tan or color in the skin, smooth the skin, and increase the brightness to give the white effect. The only other thing you could do to help "sell" the effect is to play with the curves a bit to increase contrast in the rest of the image to make the subject pop a bit.

So to recap, if you're unable to find a tutorial for the whole effect.. these are the individual things you'll be looking for tutorials for:

Masking
    Smoothing Skin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
    I think there was a fair amount of make up used on the subject prior to photographing him as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    wildviper wrote: »
    I am hoping someone can point me to a tutorial for this look. I have seen some Youtube videos but they are not tutorials..just one of those show casing thing.

In my search I have not yielded much. Here is the link to what I am going after ..Twilight

More the guy look with that white skin and stuff.

Thanx for any help

Strobist did a blog post on the lighting used, which is definitely part of the final effect of the promo shot "look". Have a hunt around over at his site.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Thanx all. Seems like I am SOL.....I already have the picture that I took....natural light. I was more concentrated at that time on the "look" and I got that in the eyes. The after-effects and stuff I was hoping to do in Photoshop. This was a very random and totally unplanned photo that I got. The couple had that "look" and I asked them to pose for me knowing that I will work the magic later in PS. :(
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Not a Twilight fan so I don't know if this is what you want but it looks like a pretty good tutorial. I'm not promoting the site, I just "googled." rolleyes1.gif

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photo-effects-tutorials/create-a-vampire-portrait-in-photoshop/

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2011
    wildviper wrote: »
    Thanx all. Seems like I am SOL.....I already have the picture that I took....natural light. I was more concentrated at that time on the "look" and I got that in the eyes. The after-effects and stuff I was hoping to do in Photoshop. This was a very random and totally unplanned photo that I got. The couple had that "look" and I asked them to pose for me knowing that I will work the magic later in PS. :(

Why don't ya let us see the picture, maybe it can still be done... Almost anything can be corrected in post..it's just a question of how much time/skill/patience it takes.