CH49: sensor - oh dear!

muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited October 6, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
so my excuse is that I gave my bottle of methanol to my daughter - meaning to get another for a few months now! Might even try some of the expensive wipes instead of the makeshift pecpad-wrapped spade. (It looks to me that there is some residue around the edges from my previous cleaning attempts?)

I think the large grey hexagons are lens flare?.

Too bad it doesn't even make a good composition (maybe I can find an interesting crop in there.

Anyway, this was a shot of a 60W incandescent with my lens held up against the enclosing white-frosted globe. I set exposure compensation at +2, AP mode f16, ISO 100, 28mm end of the Rebel kit lens, for a 1/15 sec exposure. In CameraRaw v2.2 I used 2600kelvin, exp -.65, shadows & contrast pegged up at +100. This gave a neutral grey with dust motes faintly visible. I then used auto levels which yielded essentially the colors you see below and the dirty truth clearly revealed. I then played with USM, pegging the amt at 500, and radius cranked to 100 to darken the spots. Threshold at 15 to ignore most of the noise.

38868468-M.jpg

Comments

• Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Interesting shot. I think you could improve it........with a little sensor cleaning. :uhoh :D

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    muddyknees wrote:
    so my excuse is that I gave my bottle of methanol to my daughter
    Most pediatricians recommend against this.

The photo itself is kind of neat, but doesn't quite work for me. I think it would make a nice background for something else.
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Interesting shot. I think you could improve it........with a little sensor cleaning. :uhoh :D

MM
    That's true - using auto-levels on such a test image with a clean sensor would make the noise really sparkle!
  • muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    mwgrice wrote:
    Most pediatricians recommend against this.
    rolleyes1.gif
    mwgrice wrote:
    The photo itself is kind of neat, but doesn't quite work for me. I think it would make a nice background for something else.
    Well, I seem to have been using it as a background for all my photo's these several months! But I am getting a bit tired of it now - time for a change.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    It looks familiar! No wonder it takes me so long in post! Good idea, too bad that it isn't more of a pattern, or something. It is a good idea.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.