Options

Title/Crop advice?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited May 30, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I finally got the guts to set my camera up in 40-50 mph wind gusts to get the shot I wanted to do (for the past two weeks it's been cloudy or windy, driving me crazy, a bit ironic, the weather keeping my from my weathered shot). Camera survived, I can see some buffeting in the full size image, the disturbances in the star trails don't really show up in the sub-sampled image (When I get back home, I'll post my imagemagick script for the stacking in the startrails thread, this challenge finally spurred me to figure how to write a script to automate the screen-lighten method)

Working titles in order of preference are: "30 million years of wind and water", "time always wins", "30 million years of exposure", "30 million years of wind, water, and gravity", "30 million years of wind, water, gravity and roots" Anyone want to chime in with an opinion?

1)WhiteFang-a2a-smaller-M.jpg

Also, I have my crop preference (above), but I'm wondering if others like one of these crops below better (or uncroppped- I think it doesn't work in the challenge format). one of the effects I was going for was to mirror the curve of the startrails in the shape of the spire on the left.
2)WhiteFang-a2b-smaller-M.jpg
3)WhiteFang-a2c-smaller-M.jpg
uncropped
WhiteFang-a2-smaller-M.jpg

Thanks for the hep, I've learned so much watching these challenges, and entering a few of them (although I'll totally admit my entry that gained me qualification for this mega-challenge was a result of being at the right place at the right time (my blue angels compilation).
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited May 30, 2011
    Great idea and execution! Fun to see what you've done with this!

No suggestions for the title other than to keep it simple. Perhaps something like The Effects of Wind and Water Over Time or Wind + Water + Time = ? hmmm....

Your crop looks good to me, but if you want to play with it a bit, you could crop it just a bit less than in your first image. I like seeing an edge to the right of the red rocks as in your third image (is it title #3?) and I like seeing the left slope as shown in the 2nd image. But frankly, I think it's hard to go wrong here. The closer crops direct the eye to some of the details of the weathering.

Glad the weather finally cooperated!

Gretchen
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I think closer as in #3 puts the emphasis more on the weathered rocks. Nice shot!