Options

BOOK: Mastering Nature Photography by John Kieffer

Tutorials and ReviewsTutorials and Reviews Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 138
edited May 18, 2005 in Book and Gear Reviews
[imgr]http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-6QdLFLD/0/S/i-6QdLFLD-S.jpg[/imgr]Mastering Nature Photography: Shooting and Selling in the Digital Age

Book by John Kieffer, review by catspaw

While written by a stock photographer, there is little in here that doesn't apply to all of us, whether fine arts photographers, vacation photographers, easy going point-and-shoot style or those wanting to get into the stock photography business or understand it better.

The author does an outstanding job of covering nearly *everything* you need to know, from the gear you use, to how to shoot rainbows, to scouting and setting up for trips as well as including tips in each section on what stock photography sells for each topic covered.

Even for those who don't do stock photography (such as myself) I find it highly educational to know what 'style' sells and consider how I can integrate that into my own methods.

The author has been there and done that in many different types of situations over the years. His suggestions from the types of vehicles, or sticking around after sunset, to hiking around and staying ON the path (he has his own mishaps to share!) are all well worth the read.

This is a 'meaty' book and it will take time to read it in full. However, it is broken down into small sections that can be easily read and considered, perhaps taking some notes for your own future reference. Otherwise, it is also an EXCELLENT 'reference' book, checking out his topic on sand dunes before you hit up the desert or other areas (for example).

The book itself has only a few photos, but comes with an excellent CD that allows him to share more images than you can in a regular book -- and keeps the book in a very affordable price range. ($25 retail, less on Amazon).

This IS a 'modern' book and while he talks about some of his days with medium format cameras and 35mm film, he is fully into the digital age now, as the subtitle indicates. He covers types of files to publishing formats, finding calendar companies and working online. This isn't your antiquated book you might expect but is definitely a great primer (and likely includes information that most anyone didn't know) for anyone out shooting 'in the field'.