580ex (not II) problem

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited May 31, 2011 in Cameras
I am using the 580ex and a Canon 1D Mark 2N which has worked great for a very long time. Yesterday I noticed that while the red assist light would trigger and the flash would go off the camera would either not "see" the flash and be under exposed OR it would see the flash as too strong and set the camera (while in P mode) to F22/shutter 250 (obviously the darkest settings)

Camera is in P mode
580EX is in ETTL mode and when I dial the zoom ring on the 24-70 I see the flash responding to the zooming

HELP!!!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
    It sounds like a contact issue. Use a white, unscented and non-lotion facial tissue ("Kleenex") and vigorously wipe the contacts on the hot shoe of the camera and on bottom of the flash. If that does not work also try a new and clean red rubber eraser of a new pencil to wipe the contacts.

Don't forget that there is a ground connection on the side of the flash shoe as well as the more obvious connection points. They all need to be cleaned.

If none of this helps it is time to try another flash/camera combination to try to isolate which is giving the problem. (It could be a flash issue or it could be a camera issue.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Ok if something is wrong it's the flash. I cleaned the connections and put it on both my 1D and an old 20D. Same problem

Something I am noticing, walking around the house (dark rooms, sun lit rooms) the camera in P Mode always wants to be at 60th/F4 (both cameras). If I turn the flash off the camera tries to make it's own best choice for lighting.
    edited May 31, 2011
    BBones wrote: »
    Ok if something is wrong it's the flash. I cleaned the connections and put it on both my 1D and an old 20D. Same problem ...

Also try cleaning your battery terminals and use a pencil eraser inside the battery bay to clean those contacts. If that doesn't help, try a fresh set of alkaline AA cells. If even one cell of a battery set gets weak all sorts of odd things can happen.
    ... Something I am noticing, walking around the house (dark rooms, sun lit rooms) the camera in P Mode always wants to be at 60th/F4 (both cameras). If I turn the flash off the camera tries to make it's own best choice for lighting.

I believe that is normal behavior for "P" mode. Check your owner's manual.
    ziggy53
    edited May 31, 2011
    switched from my rechargables to a new set of Energizer MAX's fresh out of the box, same problem.
    edited May 31, 2011
    Put it in AV mode, F5.6 with flash on and while the flash did go off the shutter speed the camera chose was 1 second
    edited May 31, 2011
    Put it in AV mode, F5.6 with flash on and while the flash did go off the shutter speed the camera chose was 1 second

This behavior, for aperture priority mode and flash use and shutter speed, is somewhat adjustable in the Custom Functions menu. Second curtain flash trigger will change the visible effect.
    ziggy53
    edited May 31, 2011
    Now shooting in AV with the flash in M and dialing it in, everything works. The ETTL mode is where life is sucking for me right now though and I really need that for what I do
    edited May 31, 2011
    Now shooting in AV with the flash in M and dialing it in, everything works. The ETTL mode is where life is sucking for me right now though and I really need that for what I do

When the flash is in "M" mode the only electrical communication needed is the simple flash trigger pulse. It does sound like you need to send that flash in for repairs as there seems to be a problem with E-TTL communication and you have isolated the problem to the flash.
    ziggy53
    edited May 31, 2011
    *sigh* I was hoping not, I already have a broken 70-200 to send in and I know that will be expensive, now this