Elephant portrait - which one.

david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I can't find anywhere appropriate, hence post it here. This were taken in my recent Sri Lanka trip and I'm torn between which one makes a better portrait.

This mammoth animal is known to uproot trees with their trunk, but it is equally delicate and tender enough to pick up bits of little leaf. I have learnt to always expect the unexpected and this gives a good portraiture shot, I think
i-bD8m6N2.jpg

On the flip side of their tenderness, I processed it to show its physical dominance, strength and her armoured-like fortified body.
i-B8rDVL3.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
    Both are beautifully composed. clap.gif As you said, each shows a different aspect. If forced to choose, I would vote for #1, mainly because I think eyes are important in portraits and it's clearer in that one. Very well done.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Both are GREAT...but IMHO I really like the black and white. The trunk is a wee bit distracting to me in the color. The texture in the black and white is fantastic... could you sharpen the eyes a bit?
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    Both are GREAT...but IMHO I really like the black and white. The trunk is a wee bit distracting to me in the color. The texture in the black and white is fantastic... could you sharpen the eyes a bit?

Thank you Eia for pointing out the eye. But I think sharpening a black eye won't works. Your prompting has got me "fixed the eye" as I have many other elephants to clone over.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    edited May 31, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Both are beautifully composed. clap.gif As you said, each shows a different aspect. If forced to choose, I would vote for #1, mainly because I think eyes are important in portraits and it's clearer in that one. Very well done.

Thanks Richard for telling me your preference. Now that I have fixed the 2nd elephant eye, you may want to change your mind. Ha ha.
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    i think I prefer the second one. Nice shots
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
    david-low wrote: »
    \Now that I have fixed the 2nd elephant eye, you may want to change your mind. Ha ha.

nod.gifthumb.gif
    edited June 1, 2011
    CookieS wrote: »
    i think I prefer the second one. Nice shots
    Thanks for your opinion.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011