Anna whom I was waiting for... (8 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in People
Sorry for so many shots here - cant decide which not to post...
I've met this girl about 2 weeks (or so) ago... I was attracted by her coiffure... I asked her about taking some photos, but she said 'No' (No does not always means No :-) I gave her my web address and phone No... Some days ago she called me and said that she has visited my site and now *wants* me to photograph her...
So, we met and (Oh) I had something about 30-40 min (instead of my lunch time). I've made about 120 shots and it was difficult to choose these..
3059.jpg
I found that besides her 'special' coiffure she has rare eyes - deep blue with yellow circle around pupil with these rays - just like sun is eclipsed by the moon ...
3056.jpg
Of course it was interesting to me to work in PS. I decided to make this one almost (in fact only for 90% ) b&w. After ususal things in PS (healing brush, unsharp mask, work with levels and so on) I made a layer copy, made a b&w and set opacity to 90%...
3057.jpg
The weather was ideal for portraits - clouds, scattered light... But sometimes the sun looked through the clouds...
3060.jpg
I tried to make different shots and some of them a bit 'agressive/ sexy/...' but... I couldnt - this girl couldnt play this role - so I use PS for this purpose...
3058.jpg
I used 'Strange' points of shooting..
3062.jpg
Different poses...
3061.jpg
Close... She looks like Egypt queen here, yes?
3063.jpg
The main thing I taught her - to relax so that her bottom parts of eys looked relaxed (bottom eyelid?)

Think she'll like the prints I've made...
You comments and critique, please...
Yuri

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Yuri, I like these. Something about your last few posts has put me off--I think it's that the women all had their heads so low and looking up that their eyes looked evil, looking upward from that downward glance.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you about THIS shoot, that I really like that last one quite a bit.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005

Hey Yuri, Just wanted to say that you do a remarkable job of capturing these women. My favorites are 2 4 6 8. Thanks for sharing them!

Joe
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Hi Yuri.. I love them all but number 7 is amazing. very beautiful capture in my opinion..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Very lovely girl, Yuri. And beautiful portraits as usual. I am always impressed by the lighting. You have no shadows on the face at all. Do you use a flash with the natural light?

If I had to chose my favorites it would be No. 8 in first place and No. 6 in second place. I love the hint of smile in #8. Her lips look sweet and soft with just a hint of smile. Yes, this is my very favorite.

No. 6 also has a very interesting pose with a softness in the face. No. 7 is also nice, a bit serious, but with an exotic type of beauty.

I like #3 the least. here she is looking to high for my taste and her lips are curled up almost like she is a bit angry or bothered by the light.

Very nice group of shots. I wouldn't looking at 100 shots like this.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Wonderful shots, Yuri. Topping yourself, smile.

I like the distance shots best for the most part, I like the way she uses her body.

You have so many great face shots from other places, though I do like a couple here, too. I just really don't like when she tries to be coy or cute, all the others, well, do photos rock!

I envy anyone these problems of choices, smile.
    (In my own small way, I sometimes have it, too. That is why I hate to throw things away. My choices usualy come down to more like which TWO or less can I work up.)

Great photos!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    I find the last one, #8, very interesting. Her hair, the position of her body, the light and dark elements in the background, and the soft not-to-contrasty tones on her face. Very nice. All of the shots have interest but the last one is my choice.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Yuri...so what IS your website address?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Yuri,

The last photo is stunning! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Your portrait work is an inspiration.
    Sam
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    yuri, why not just change your name to "the master" evertime i check in on dgrin i see more of your portraits and fall more and more in love with your country, the people and your photography. how about a coffetable book for the fans?
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Greetings Yuri. How are you, my friend?

She is indeed a beautiful girl. Are these all still with a 707? My comments vary depending on your camera. #4 and #8 are by far the most appealing to my eye. A few of the others are nice, but I find the shallow depth of field a bit confusing... I'm not really sure where to look. If these are 707 shots, there isn't much you can do about that, but if they're a dslr, then I'd suggest a more open aperture. If these are 707 shots... you are so ready for an upgrade to a dslr if means allow.

You have the eye and the rapport with your subjects... bring them into your work more, would be my suggestion.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Oh, man!
    You make me wishing to ditch SoCal, my beloved Murano, my house, my six-figures job and go back to Russia - just to be able to shoot subjects like yours :):
    Amazing!thumb.gif Truly amazing!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Very lovely girl, Yuri. And beautiful portraits as usual. I am always impressed by the lighting. You have no shadows on the face at all. Do you use a flash with the natural light?
    Spasibo for your critique and comment!
    I dont use flash at all... only natural light...
    Yuri
    edited October 7, 2005
    photodoug wrote:

Yuri pautov's photo web site
    Spasibo for your interest!
    Yuri
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Outstanding, Yuri!
    Your portraits are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing them here and other "places". I have very little if any formal portrait experience.... unless you count a few weddings? I also do not have access to woman of such stunning beauty as you have displayed for our yes to see.

Keep up the marvelous work!!

Markjay

Yuri pautov's photo web site
    Spasibo for your interest!
    Yuri
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Yuri - great series displaying many different styles of shooting and post work. She is a real beauty also. #4 and #8 really stand out for me.
    edited October 9, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    You make me wishing to ditch SoCal, my beloved Murano, my house, my six-figures job and go back to Russia - just to be able to shoot subjects like yours :):
    Amazing!thumb.gif Truly amazing!
    Nik, may I ask you -what is SoCal?
    Yuri
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    photodoug wrote:
    http://pautov.viplast.ru/
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Nik, may I ask you -what is SoCal?
    Yuri

SOuthern CALifornia
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.