Options

BOOK: Bound for Glory by Paul Hendrickson

Tutorials and ReviewsTutorials and Reviews Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 138
edited May 18, 2005 in Book and Gear Reviews
[imgr]http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-2gS6QS3/0/S/i-2gS6QS3-S.jpg[/imgr]Bound for Glory: America in Color 1939-43

Book by Paul Hendrickson, review by pathfinder

Bound for Glory: America in Color 1939-1943" is a fascinating set of images shot by phototographers shooting for the Fed Govt in the Farm Security Administration and its successor the Office of War Information. Almost all of the images we have seen of this country in the 1930's and 1940's were shot in black and white. Think Walker Evans, Dorthea Lange, Marion Post Wolcott et al. B&W because color was not really widely avaiable much prior to the mid 30's, and during the war, color film was not availabe to the average consumer because it was a war material and rationed. My father was stationed at Fort Sam Huston in 1944, and did shoot some Kodachrome ( ASA 10 or 12) which he purchased in Mexico. No rationing of film in Mexico!! The images are typical Kodachrome images - saturated colors with deep dark shadows without shadow detail - just the way I love Kodachrome. From the back counry of the Lousiana Delta country, to the country sides of California and Texas and Kentucky, the color images of the agricultural landscape of the 30's and 40's is lovely and recalls life of a different and much harder era in America. The images just resonate for me - but then Americana is an area I dearly enjoy. I enjoyed this book heartily For new to digital shooters, who never shot with Kodachrome slide reversal film, here is a picture of my mother, from 1944, shot on Kodachrome 10. And to the right, is an image of yours truly, on his first wooden horse in 1944. I STILL have that wooden horse, that my father made for me long ago. Maybe that is why iron horses appeal to me so. The colors are pure Kodachrome again.