Azalea

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited June 1, 2011 in Other Cool Shots

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Great one, Werner. You're on a roll....keep it up.

It's a good thing old Randy is out of the country. All these beautiful flowers you guys are doing would really ring his chime.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Beautiful - tell me how you are doing this???? iloveyou.gif
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Another exquisite shot of a floral subject from you, Werner. Awesome as usual. Cheers. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Thank you Tom, Eia and Jiro.

Eia, this was similar to the apple blossom except that the whole bush was in sunlight with harsh shadows. I used a translucent umbrella to shade as much of the bush as is in the frame, then exposed the ambient -3 stops, and used the remote flash with a flashbender held above left to underexpose the open blossom by about 1 stop. I liked the look of the one open blossom framed by closed blossoms but I wanted the closed blossoms to be darker. Also an inverted USM adds local contrast that brings out the texture of the petals.

I like it also but the shading on the closed buds seems harsher than I intended. The science of shaping the flashbender to control it's effects that is still a bit of mystery to me.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Hi Werner, beautiful colour and clarity on this one. It is quite a technique you use to get the shot.

Cheers, Richard.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    WernerG wrote: »
    Thank you Tom, Eia and Jiro.

Eia, this was similar to the apple blossom except that the whole bush was in sunlight with harsh shadows. I used a translucent umbrella to shade as much of the bush as is in the frame, then exposed the ambient -3 stops, and used the remote flash with a flashbender held above left to underexpose the open blossom by about 1 stop. I liked the look of the one open blossom framed by closed blossoms but I wanted the closed blossoms to be darker. Also an inverted USM adds local contrast that brings out the texture of the petals.

I like it also but the shading on the closed buds seems harsher than I intended. The science of shaping the flashbender to control it's effects that is still a bit of mystery to me.

Thank you for the explanation - the texture of the blossoms is incredible!