edited June 7, 2011 in Weddings
I shot these for my soon to be daughter in law.....just a few more weeks!:D

1-
IMG3868-XL.jpg

2-
IMG3901-copy-XL.jpg

3-
IMG3934-XL.jpg

4- She chose to print this one in an 11x14 to display at the reception.
IMG4057-crop-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Awesome Jeff! I like 4 also. The repeating lines reminds me of your streetlamp shot.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    #4, the trees being lit from the right is really interesting... It almost makes this photo seem 3D, even though the focus recedes.
    She's really pretty, Jeff.... I bet your son is happy as a clam!

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the wedding and not spend your time watching the photographer. I know I would have a hard time not snatching up my camera and squeezing off a few. Haha.

#3, it looks like her eye area could use some work. It almost looks like she has raccoon eyes... or a makeup mishap.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Awesome Jeff! I like 4 also. The repeating lines reminds me of your streetlamp shot.

Thanks Matt. I love to use repeating lines and patterns for portrait work.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2011
    #4, the trees being lit from the right is really interesting... It almost makes this photo seem 3D, even though the focus recedes.
    She's really pretty, Jeff.... I bet your son is happy as a clam!

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy the wedding and not spend your time watching the photographer. I know I would have a hard time not snatching up my camera and squeezing off a few. Haha.

#3, it looks like her eye area could use some work. It almost looks like she has raccoon eyes... or a makeup mishap.

The sunlight is striking the backside of the trees. She is well out from under the last tree and is lit by open blue sky....but shaded by the trees. I had shot from a different location against these trees for years and only recently discovered this nook. It can also give sweet backlight on the subject.....with a slight change in position.

1245220269_CBTfH-XL-1.jpg

The eye thing is make up. She had gotten her hair done early and came straight to me after getting her face done. I decided not to work it out since she had chosen to have the eyes dark with make up. So yes...a bit dark....but...these are ALL natural light...so maybe a if I had squirted a bit of flash in there it may have helped. Maybe...mwink.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Oh man, #4 is to die for! Bet you're excited to officially call her a daughter in law soon :)
  • Options
    DajuanDajuan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2011
    One of the reasons I really like #4 is because unlike the others, the colors don't compete with her gown as they do in the others. All nicely done.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Oh man, #4 is to die for! Bet you're excited to officially call her a daughter in law soon :)

They have been dating for a very long time. She is a great "sister" to my daughters, "daughter" for my wife and I, and an even better match for my son. She fits right in!thumb.gif

She walked the aisle to recieve her graduate degree( Physician's Assistant) a few weeks ago and the emotions I felt were the same as if she were my own child. I sure am proud of her.iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    #

Im actually pretty frustrated with the choice of photographer. "After" she had signed a contract I was asked to look at the hired photogs portfolio. After a few minutes all I could see were tilted shots with blurred edges. Nearly every one of them....eek7.gif Like a calling card.eek7.gif

They had a choice to use her for either bridals or e-session. We studied the portfolio and decided that her bridals were her weakest...and so...I did the bridals.

Even so, out of around 400 e session shots in a gallery (ouch!), I think they only really liked about 10, and the one and only really good waist up shot of them that they pretty much HAD to use for the newspaper had a car in the background.

I would have probably deleted at least 75% of what was in the gallery outright, and the shot with the car would have never seen the light of day. They were shot in New Orleans in the French Quarter. A place where the archetecture is so good that you could probably choose any single block to walk around and do an entire e session in one block.....(one parking fee.Laughing.gif)

Its fun to be super creative when working with couples. Sweeping landscapes that feature the couple can be beautiful......but.....a handful of well executed traditional newspaper type shots are needed as well. I thought everyone knew that.headscratch.gif

I dont know what to do about my daughters. They dont appear to be marrying anytime soon, but when they do, I am very VERY tempted to do the photography myself. The only thing that would really be missing would be the processional. Big whoops. I could still do exit shots.thumb.gif I would only have to hand the camera off to a guest(?) for the father-daughter dance.

Maybe Im just too picky.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    Dajuan wrote: »
    One of the reasons I really like #4 is because unlike the others, the colors don't compete with her gown as they do in the others. All nicely done.

I like the monotone feel of the ones against the white background, but you are right about #4. The gown REALLY jumps off that green background.

Welcome to Dgrin, and thanks for commenting.:D
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I'm lovin #4 here, Jeff. Those trees make a great counterpoint to the beautiful bride to be.

The first few need more separation between the gown and the surroundings. It's just all a bit too bright and homogeneous on my monitor.

Good luck with the photographer. I'm still reeling from the photos of my son's and daughter's Bar Mitzvahs. I reshot my daughter's formal photos. My son's photographer liked the cool, relaxed look. This may work for senior photos, but they look absurd for a formal religious event. My son refused to reshoot, so I'm stuck with them.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    I dont know what to do about my daughters. They dont appear to be marrying anytime soon, but when they do, I am very VERY tempted to do the photography myself. The only thing that would really be missing would be the processional. Big whoops. I could still do exit shots.thumb.gif I would only have to hand the camera off to a guest(?) for the father-daughter dance.

Maybe Im just too picky.
    I think you are right to be picky though. You know what looks good and you have the eye to be able to look at mess ups and know that they messed up. You could always bring in a second shooter and have them capture what you aren't able to and then take over the lead roll when you are done with your duty. I know that I'm going to have a hard time if/when my sister gets married since I'll be the matron of honor, so I've been thinking of doing just that (assuming I'm still in the biz by the time that happens).
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I'm lovin #4 here, Jeff. Those trees make a great counterpoint to the beautiful bride to be.

The first few need more separation between the gown and the surroundings. It's just all a bit too bright and homogeneous on my monitor.

Good luck with the photographer. I'm still reeling from the photos of my son's and daughter's Bar Mitzvahs. I reshot my daughter's formal photos. My son's photographer liked the cool, relaxed look. This may work for senior photos, but they look absurd for a formal religious event. My son refused to reshoot, so I'm stuck with them.

Hey Mitchell,

Thanks for your kind remarks.

If I weren't "in" the wedding I'd shoot it for sure!.Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2011
    I think you are right to be picky though. You know what looks good and you have the eye to be able to look at mess ups and know that they messed up. You could always bring in a second shooter and have them capture what you aren't able to and then take over the lead roll when you are done with your duty. I know that I'm going to have a hard time if/when my sister gets married since I'll be the matron of honor, so I've been thinking of doing just that (assuming I'm still in the biz by the time that happens).

True.

But...

Whether or not you are still in the biz should have nothing to do with the decision. You won't suddenly forget how to do it if you choose not to do it.

I've turned away EVERY potential wedding client that has approached me for a year and a half. Taking a break doesnt make me any less able.

You either!:D

You should offer even if you arent in the biz!mwink.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    gorgeous stuff as usual Jeff. I am really digging #4. really jumps off the screen! #2 is not really working for me though I can't really put my finger on it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Hi Jeff,

Nice work...congratulations. Really liking 3 and 4.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed