Options

Feature request -- page and line breaks

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 6, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I asked for this in the bugs and feature requests thread, but I think it got lost. Anyway, no ACK. So I'd like to raise it's visibility a little.

I'd like to see some way to cause a line new line and a way to cause a new page in a gallery. Here is an example of how this might be useful.

Suppose I have a gallery for a wedding. I might like to have shots of the bride and groom on the first page of the gallery, then a page for the bride's family, and finally one for the groom's family. I might not have enough shots to fill three entire pages, maybe only 3 of the bride and groom, for example. It doesn't matter, I want separate pages because it's the most sensible way to present the content. Besides, I might not know what style the gallery will be viewed in. Still I want the breaks, not matter what style. Call this a page break.

Line breaks are similar to page breaks, but cause a new line in viewing styles that have rows and columns. Suppose I want a line each for the mother of the bride and father of the bride, but have only 3 shots of the mother an d5 shots of the father. A line break after the mother shots and before the father shots would make this happen.

Mike L. said he didn't know how to make this happen. Is there a way? If not, can does anyone else like this idea?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    rutt, nothing gets lost from that thread, i assure you. patience please.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    A partial work-around idea
    rutt wrote:
    I asked for this in the bugs and feature requests thread, but I think it got lost. Anyway, no ACK. So I'd like to raise it's visibility a little.

I'd like to see some way to cause a line new line and a way to cause a new page in a gallery. Here is an example of how this might be useful.

Suppose I have a gallery for a wedding. I might like to have shots of the bride and groom on the first page of the gallery, then a page for the bride's family, and finally one for the groom's family. I might not have enough shots to fill three entire pages, maybe only 3 of the bride and groom, for example. It doesn't matter, I want separate pages because it's the most sensible way to present the content. Besides, I might not know what style the gallery will be viewed in. Still I want the breaks, not matter what style. Call this a page break.

Line breaks are similar to page breaks, but cause a new line in viewing styles that have rows and columns. Suppose I want a line each for the mother of the bride and father of the bride, but have only 3 shots of the mother an d5 shots of the father. A line break after the mother shots and before the father shots would make this happen.

Mike L. said he didn't know how to make this happen. Is there a way? If not, can does anyone else like this idea?
    The only work-around I can think of is to upload a bunch of dummy transparent and small images that you could use arrange gallery to put into the spots that you want to be empty. You may then need to change the thumb style so there's no box around the images so nobody will see that there are transparent images there. This will mostly work for the thumb view, but won't be that great if they go to the large view and want to use prev/next because they will encounter the blank images that way. Oh well, just an idea. Hopefully others will have better or more complete ideas.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Andy, lost/not lost is one thing. Popularity is another. I was just doing a little PR for this idea in hopes that smugmug customers who don't keep up with the bugs and features thread (I don't) might have a postive response and help save from obscurity.

Thanks for your reassurance, though.
    If not now, when?