Memory for 40D

El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited June 4, 2011 in Cameras
Hello again grinners,

So I've bought a gripped 40D that is enroute from Boston (praying that Canada Post doesn't go on strike!!), and I'm looking to buy a couple CF cards. I've never owned a camera that took CF, so I'm looking for advice (I know...what else is new!?). I know that Sandisk and Lexar make some good products, but I'm wondering how fast of a card that I'll need for the 40D (no point getting a card that's faster than the camera's write speed, or so I've read). I'll probably just get one 8GB (maybe 16GB) card for now, as I've been given a few smaller cards to use as backups. Any tips?

As always, thanks!
Adam

Comments

• borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Pretty much any name-brand card will suffice; we use Sandisk and Transcend but obviously Lexar makes a fine product as well. Don't bother with UDMA though since the camera does not support it.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I'd probably do two rather than one 8g card - they're not that expensive (the Transcend ones from Newegg are very reasonable). CF is pretty reliable, but I'm uncomfortable having ALL my images on one card, especially for something important. Since you'll be shooting two bodies, the time to change it out isn't going to be that big a deal.

Just my 2 (deflated!) cents.
  • roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Sandisk Extreme III is all you need for a 40D. 8GB cards worked well for me, although I know some folks like more smaller cards vs. a large(ish) one.

Jay

Edit: To be clear, when I say "all you need", I was answering the "how fast of a card is useful" part of the question. Not saying there aren't other reliable brands.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 1, 2011
    I prefer 4G cards because they conveniently fit on a single layer data DVD for backup. Sandisk do tend to do better in Canon cameras. The best tests (although old) of cards in a Canon 40D are here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9257

The more recent UDMA cards are reported to run "slower" than non-UDMA cards in the 40D.

Sandisk recently reused some of their older names making their cards somewhat difficult to identify. Generally look for Sandisk cards rated 15 MB/s, "Lexar Professional" line or other cards with 133x-150x. Faster cards than these specs will generally run slower.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    The short story: Kingston 8GB 133x (green label). Get at least 2.

The longer version: Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston, Transcend, PNY... I think that's about it. All others I wouldn't trust. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. Adorama, BH, Newegg, sometimes Amazon (but ONLY "ships from and sold by Amazon.com"; don't do marketplace). I don't buy memory from Amazon myself. And MAKE SURE the card has a lifetime warranty, so if it fails you can probably get your images back.

Absolutely no ebay. Where did I read that two-thirds of Sandisk cards in the world are fake?... Edit: Sorry, only one-third are fake.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I have 2 - 40ds and all I use are Sandisks. All are 4GB cards except for one 8GB. Tried Lexar, but couldn't retrieve all my photos once so stopped using it.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I started with Lexar (really good and reliable and use to have great tech support, do not know how it is now sinceI have not needed them on over 8 yrs), then got some SanDisk and then Transcend.....I still have the original Lexars (2gb 80x) and now use Transcend exclusively.....I have most 8gb cards and 2- 16 gb cards.......never had a problem with any of my transcends that were a problem I did not create on purpose when 1st using them.......I corrupted 2 cards to see about recovering them......to corrupt them I yanked them out of my D300's while camera was still on....when in the card reader it said files were corrupt, but the Lexar recovery software worked miracles.........

I had a PNY card for about 1 hour...that thing was so slow i could not shoot landscapes without all grass and trees showing signs of waving in the breeze here in Ks........I can recommend: Lexar, San Disk and TRANSCEND ( I currently own a total of 14 of these)...........and New Egg is where I have been purchasing all my cards now for over 5 yrs.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• El ComatEl Comat Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Well I ordered two cards from NewEgg, both Transcend (one 8GB, one 16GB). Thanks for the help everyone!

Adam
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    the cheap transcend cards works for me