Got tips for getting the best out of a Nikon D7000???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grinsNorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
edited June 4, 2011 in Cameras
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    Don't go swimming in it.
    Don't stare at the sun while looking through the viewfinder.
    Try not to eat it.
    Have fun?
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I just bought mine 2 or 3 weeks ago and my first tip is don't expect that you're buying it next week. Adorama and B&H were on indeterminate back order, amazon had 10 left in stock on a Saturday night around 11pm. I thought "ok this is a lot of cash, let me sleep on it and I'll get it tomorrow if I decide I really want it." Sold out on Sunday morning. Local bestbuy had them in stock with the kit lens (I don't go to best buy to buy camera gear, I was there looking at tablet PCs I had no intention of actually buying) but just the body was on back order. So I don't know where you're getting yours but it took me a hell of a lot of calling around to find a store that had just the body in stock.
  • joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2011
    I have my for about 3 weeks now, I had to wait for about a month until BH received a batch.

My first tip: practice, practice, practice

My second one, Invest in a good D7000 book and read it cover to cover.
    I can recommend 2: They both made by Magic Lantern Guides
    Nikon D7000 by Simon Starfford
    Nikon D7000 Multimedia Workshop, this one comes with a very good DVD.

There are several other books in the market for the D7000.

Have fun with you D7000 whenever you receive it, I am having a blast with my.

Joe
    www.jlm-photos.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    If you have a current slr body, try moving your settings over and see how you like the D7k. I pretty much set it up the same as my D90 (minus some new feature tweaks) and it's like nothing ever changed :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    i find the user settings in the mode-dialer very handy [ U1 and U2 ]

so , you can use your most used settings without going through half the menu
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    1. Use the My Menu function to include the main menu items you will access all of the time.
    2. Gaffer tape the mode dial if you do not want to accidentally bump it from A to S or M.
    3. If you plan on shooting jpeg at least some of the time, play around with the various camera profiles i.e. (vivid, landscape, etc) and fine tune the white balance to get custom ones that you like. It might be preference, but I prefer a slightly warmer white balance than what comes out standard on the D7000 as well as my D90.
    4. If you use the AF-On option for the AE/AF button, be prepared to accidentally switch to live view on occasion, OK maybe this should say frequently.
    5. Learn to use the sub and command dials as much as possible versus the menus. They are SOOOO much faster.
  • A-1 BossA-1 Boss Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    My favorite thing about the d7000 is the U1 and U2 settings. These are basically the modes I do 90% of my shooting in. I set U1 as a mode to shoot kids/family and U2 for shooting landscapes. Almost all my pics are shot in one of these 2 modes. I will occasionaly go to Shutter Priority or Manual but not often. U1 is set at jpeg and medium size in P mode. U2 is set to Raw+Jpeg Large in A Mode for Landscapes.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Love my D7000. There's lots of free info on the net (videos and tutorials) that will help you get started.