class 6 or class 10 SDHC in Nikon D7000 ?

expatCanuckexpatCanuck Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited June 7, 2011 in Cameras
Greetings -

Recently asked Nikon point blank if there was any real-world difference
between Class 6 & Class 10 SDHC cards in a D7000, for either photos
or video. Or, stated another way, can a D7000 actually take advantage
of a Class 10 card's potential faster throughput.

They completely ignored the question, stating only:
Memory cards with an SD Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies.
So, my working assumption is now that there's no difference,
and that as long as one uses a reputable brand on their (rather short) Approved list,
performance will be the same.

Anyone know different?

Thanks,

- Richard

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I would guess that since it's newer tech, it would take advantage of Class 10. That's the way it is with CFs.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 2, 2011
    I believe that either a class 6 or a class 10 card should work fine on the Nikon D7000. I believe that you would see little speed difference in saving image files from the camera to either card, but the class 10 should be a little faster.

If you shoot mostly RAW you might be interested in the results from this site (SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 45 MB/sec (8GB) seems a safe bet):
    http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

A more significant benefit might occur during transfer from card to computer. With potentially large speed transfer advantage for a class 10 card in the card to computer transfer, I have standardized on Transcend 16GB, class 10 SDHC cards for my video applications.

I thank Art Scott for recommending these cards and I've had no negative issues with them for video applications. (I don't own/use a Nikon D7000 so I can't speak directly to that camera use.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    My understanding is the D7000 and possibly now the D5100 are the first of the nikon's to be able to take advantage of the Extreme Pro 45 MB/Sec.
    I have noticed a difference in speed between the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/sec and the Sandisk Extreme Pro 45 mb/sec when shooting bursts in raw.
    Bursts with jpeg are not as noticeable.

I believe for video, Class 6, 10, or the new UHS-1??(can't remember the new designation for the Extreme pro) should be fine based on what I have read on the intenet.

Of course, there is also the advantage in uploading speed.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    I found a massive difference in waiting for the RAW buffer to clear out (in burst mode) between 45 MB/s and anything slower. I was very disappointed with the initial wait time when using a slower card, but after upgrading I'm quite pleased.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I have standardized on Transcend 16GB, class 10 SDHC cards for my video applications.

I bought 2 of these to use in my new D7000 too... I happen to have a 16gb Class 6 SDHC card I use in my Canon HF100 video camera.

Now here's the kicker (which I can't work out...)

Class 6 in the HF100 does full HD at 30fps - no problem...
    Put the Class 10 in to the HF100 and it says that full HD is not possible with this card

eh!? ne_nau.gif

is it maybe that the camera - I think like 2 yrs old - isn't compatible with the Class 10???

on a side note - full HD video with the D7000 is fine with the Class 10 cards thumb.gif

edit: interesting link showing class 6 faster than class 10 in d7000 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxj_299ZEwM
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I use a class 6, and have shot HD video too without any issues.I doubt the D7000 can exceed class 6 cards maximum speed!
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    I use a class 6, and have shot HD video too without any issues.I doubt the D7000 can exceed class 6 cards maximum speed!

hmmm take a look at the link that Ziggy posted - it's VERY interesting... and looks like yes D7000 can utilise faster cards - it's got me contemplating relegating my Transcend 16GB Class 10 cards to spares and getting some Sandisk 45mb/s 8GB cards - half the size but twice as fast....