Options

Bad weather OR dramatic photographs

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited June 27, 2011 in Weddings
A wedding on June 1st... it should be nice and sunny right? Nope. Rain, hail, snow. It's all a matter of perspective.

More and the full story on my site.

02ae4cf2d2aeeb3c97e37df5e8ad77cb.jpg

2f29888f4650adf757362458c11865fa.jpg

dff4c02c3db21e8d8dc21231a21eac8e.jpg

a372201dd67abe40fbc9ec48d2686518.jpg

922c26a92738b28d4511236196bb53d0.jpg

23d29d0375a5176e0d0b7c676887ca56.jpg

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Uhm GORGEOUS!

Love those scary skies... and your lighting... and your posing... and your angles...
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Oh #2 how I heart you.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    #2 is def. the best :) awesome stuff. I have the same philosophy with photography... the worse it gets the more unusual opportunities there are to be had... at least till you need to hide in the basement! Lol.
  • Options
    Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    I really liked the fourth picture
    did you use lighting ??
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone! In all honesty, it was a tough shoot. I was doing my best to keep us out of the rain, and more importantly keep the bride and groom clean and dry. This severely limited the options for locations and posing (for example, I couldn't take them out in to the waist high grasses or on a dirt path).

The good news is that there was crazy cool light all over the place, but that also meant I was working at the extreme ends of my cameras dynamic range. Just about everything required some extra light.
    I really liked the fourth picture
    did you use lighting ??

Yes, lots and lots of light there from camera left & up high. I think it was 3 speedlights at full blast - it would have been four, but I had already broken a few by this point.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    iloveyou.gif #6 indeed

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    BrucheBruche Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    I Love No. 4

Bruce
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    +1 on #4. Seems to have been worth it!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    #2 Is just an awesome looking shot (and my favorite)
    #6 looks nice but there is a weird shadow or something on his forehead that is distracting to me?
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this set. 2-5 are my favorites, with #4 probably coming out on top just because that waterfall in the background is wicked.
  • Options
    lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    nice set, but #4 really caught my eye
  • Options
    AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Another thumb.gif for #4. But if I can ask, how did you take this shot? To my untrained eye it appears more is going on than just DOF. Mind sharing the process? Also she appears to be elevated, is she? If so, about how much higher is she in relation to you? And did you use a tripod? Thanks.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Great set as always, but it's #3 for me - totally digging it. Is that the 85L at work?
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Man, #4 is killer!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    sharagim1sharagim1 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    please share your camera etup and equpments, thanks
    canon EOS 7D /canon 5d mark ll/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM/EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM/ canon lens 85mm 1.8
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    3, 4, 5, and 6....Whoah! Thumbs Up my friend!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    Thanks again everyone for sharing the love!
    dbveto wrote: »
    #6 looks nice but there is a weird shadow or something on his forehead that is distracting to me?

That's the groom's hair - it's the way he wore it. But now that you bring it up, it is a little bit distracting...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    Antonlm wrote: »
    Another thumb.gif for #4. But if I can ask, how did you take this shot? To my untrained eye it appears more is going on than just DOF. Mind sharing the process? Also she appears to be elevated, is she? If so, about how much higher is she in relation to you? And did you use a tripod? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, it's the 85L wide open. She's standing on a wall/guard rail about 2 feet above the ground level, but I am also standing on a wall, so our height is the same - the big difference is that I am crouching down so the camera is at the position of her feet. Getting down low makes people look bigger and stronger. To me, this photo is about casting her in a position of strength in the middle of this rock valley. No tripod, just a handheld shot. If I had to guess the settings (I don't have the exif in front of me), iso 100 f1.2 1/8000 (or there about) and a crap load of speedlight from camera left. Next to zero post production (I probably bumped the contrast).
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Great set as always, but it's #3 for me - totally digging it. Is that the 85L at work?

Yep, am I becoming that predictable? Maybe I should leave that lens at home for a while...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    sharagim1 wrote: »
    please share your camera etup and equpments, thanks

These were shot with my 5dII, 16-35L or 85L & lots of light.
  • Options
    jamiezentenojamiezenteno Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    wow they look great!!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Yep, am I becoming that predictable? Maybe I should leave that lens at home for a while...

nnoooooooooooooooooooooooo - I lurve what you do with the 85L!!!!

That said, if you REALLY decide that it's yummy bokeh gorgeousness is, you know, cliche and all, you could always give it to me to use. You know. Just saying :giggle
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    nnoooooooooooooooooooooooo - I lurve what you do with the 85L!!!!

That said, if you REALLY decide that it's yummy bokeh gorgeousness is, you know, cliche and all, you could always give it to me to use. You know. Just saying :giggle

Hey! I was going to suggest that!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    That's crazy talk! That's like saying, "maybe I should leave gorgeous light at home for a while..." :-P
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. And again, great pictures.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    That's crazy talk! That's like saying, "maybe I should leave gorgeous light at home for a while..." :-P

Sometimes I need to leave the gorgeous light at home too. It makes things difficult for me.

I really don't like it when things come too easy for me. I am most creative when I have my back against the wall and problem solving. Sure it would be easy to keep replicating the same shot over and over, with different people and a different place, but I hate myself for doing it. I think it's good every once in a while to leave behind your most used/favorite piece of equipment, if for no other reason than proving to yourself that it's not a crutch.

For example, this weekend I will be leaving my much loved 135L behind. Of course, it's broken, but that's another story :) In fact, I might just shoot everything on my 16-35 & 70-200 for kicks.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Sometimes I need to leave the gorgeous light at home too. It makes things difficult for me.

I really don't like it when things come too easy for me. I am most creative when I have my back against the wall and problem solving. Sure it would be easy to keep replicating the same shot over and over, with different people and a different place, but I hate myself for doing it. I think it's good every once in a while to leave behind your most used/favorite piece of equipment, if for no other reason than proving to yourself that it's not a crutch.

For example, this weekend I will be leaving my much loved 135L behind. Of course, it's broken, but that's another story :) In fact, I might just shoot everything on my 16-35 & 70-200 for kicks.

denial is a luxury

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    I get what you mean, Ten - in my concert opera shoot I sometimes feel like that (because it's not staged, it's pretty much same venue, same setup, different people). I set myself little "tasks" to try and shake things up. 'Course, the lighting there is so dire that I'm often "puzzle solving" just to make a decent shot of any kind, but I do know what you mean.

THAT SAID.

The reason I asked if it was the 85L was not because it was "repeat shot" of yours, but because I'm a shallow DOF junkie and once I see something one of the "iconic" lenses can do, the particular quality it can give... I tend to notice it wherever I see it. I know you have one and like to shoot it wide open from a distance to take advantage of its distinctive bokeh. QED.

So, without getting too much into this, I don't think that "look" is becoming cliche. Yes, you have a very particular way of using it which is yours and so (again) I do know what you mean but... I'm not sure it's a bad thing. Even if YOU are getting bored witih it :D
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Was this Yosemite?
    The Chapel looks the same except that the stair rails are different.

875203694_RzKjV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    The Chapel looks the same except that the stair rails are different.

875203694_RzKjV-L.jpg

One and the same... I'm not even seeing a difference in the rails.