Options

The Last Space Shuttle Rollout

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited July 19, 2011 in Journeys
Tuesday morning my wife, Linda, reminded me that we had passes for the rollout of the space shuttle Atlantis that evening. I had forgotten all about it and wasn't thrilled with the news. I was heading up to St Augustine on Wednesday morning and it would be a long night for a rollout. However since this was going to be the last shuttle rollout ever I decided to go. Also it would be a chance to see how my new Fuji X-100 handled low light shooting.

So with my Fuji X-100 and my Nikon D3s with the 28-70 2.8 plus Linda we joined 8,000 plus folks to witness the last shuttle rollout.

Rollouts are done in the evening and it starts from the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building) - Fuji ISO 800
DSCF0213-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 800
D3S3535-XL.jpg

Thee rollout was supposed to start at 8 PM but got delayed for 40 minutes because of a leak in the crawler's transporter hydraulics system. We got to hear very loud patriotic music blaring from speakers strategically placed throughout the area while we waited for the rollout. Folks got themselves set up and ready for the event.

Fuji X-100 ISO 1250
D3S3525-XL.jpg

D3s - ISO 800
D3S3537-XL.jpg

Fuji X-100 ISO 1650
DSCF0242-XL.jpg

There lots of cameras around
Some got high - Fuji X-100 ISO 800
DSCF0227-XL.jpg

There were video cameras
Fuji X-100 ISO 1600
DSCF0234-XL.jpg

some smaller cameras
Fuji X100 ISO 1600
DSCF0235-XL.jpg

We waited
Fuji X100 ISO 1600
DSCF0252-XL.jpg

and waited
Fuji X-100 ISO 1600
DSCF0256-XL.jpg

waited
Nikon D3s ISO 2500
D3S3569-XL.jpg

Finally the star attraction made its appearance
Nikon D3s ISO 2500
D3S3576-XL.jpg
Nikon D3s ISO 4000
D3S3586-XL.jpg

Now the trip from the VAB to launch pad 39A is about 3.5 miles and takes about 6 hours to complete. The Shuttle, its external fuel tank, solid rocket boosters and mobile launch platform ( total weight, 12 million pounds) are lifted unto the 6 million pound crawler and then transported to the launch pad.

Fuji X-100 ISO 3200
DSCF0290-XL.jpg

Now to make the lighting really interesting they illuminated the shuttle with these xenon floodlights. I set the ev adjustment to its max of -3 stops and the highlights were still blowing out :bash

Nikon D3s ISO 4000
D3S3604-XL.jpg

Nikon D3s ISO 3200
D3S3616-XL.jpg

The crowd reacted to the shuttle's appearance
Fuji X-100 ISO 3200
DSCF0284-XL.jpg

Fuji X-100 ISO 3200
DSCF0292-XL.jpg

Fuji ISO 6400
DSCF0319-XL.jpg

it was a pretty good show
Fuji X-100 ISO 3200
DSCF0297-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 3200
D3S3689-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 500
D3S3707-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 1250
D3S3665-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 500
D3S3729-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 1250
D3S3802-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 2000
D3S3850-XL.jpg

D3s ISO 2000
D3S3864-XL.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics because there won't be another op again.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Great job with these Harry thumb.gif
    The lights made for quite a dramatic scene toward the end of the series.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2011
    Nice story telling.

I really want to make hand shadows on the side of the VAB with one of the Xenon lights. You think they would let me?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    A really terrific series! Are you going to try and see the launch too?

Since May 2005, I have made more than 6 trips to Florida to try and see a launch, but was hit with delays each and every time ... How wonderful it must be to be so close!

Thanks for the great post!
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2011
    digismile wrote: »
    A really terrific series! Are you going to try and see the launch too?

Since May 2005, I have made more than 6 trips to Florida to try and see a launch, but was hit with delays each and every time ... How wonderful it must be to be so close!

Thanks for the great post!

Thanks Brad its been great being so close to KSC. I've found that its rare for a launch to go off on schedule which is rough for out-of-towners wanting to see one.

I've seen 4 launches so far. I will be probably pass on the last one since its scheduled for July :whew

Also I was lucky enough to view a night launch form the VIP area. After you've seen one from 3 miles away its tough going back to the normal 11-12 miles.
    417764000_rRP7C-XL.jpg
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Fantastic pics. I can't believe this is the last one.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    KeyWestPhotogKeyWestPhotog Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Great pics, and thanks for sharing. You got one there I want in my Laboratory on the wall. I was there in December but didn't get to witness the launch :(
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Very nice Harry. I always wanted to see this, but you are right - its tough to plan on flying down there when so many get scrubbed.

The one just emerging from the building is exceptional. Thanks for sharing.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Very nice pics. I am always amazed at how the scale of the shuttle and the buildings is so missleading, even here. I remember a tour guide saying that you can drive a bus along one of the stripes on the American flag painted on the Vehicle Assembly Building, its that big. The second shot if you look carefully does show folks standing next to the shuttle on the crawler...amazing!
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great job with these Harry thumb.gif
    The lights made for quite a dramatic scene toward the end of the series.

Thanks those folks at KSC do know hopw to put on a good show. I am very happy that I opted not to miss it.
    Harry
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Beautiful, Harry! Wish I could get there for the launch (if I could avoid melting)...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Nice story telling.

I really want to make hand shadows on the side of the VAB with one of the Xenon lights. You think they would let me?

Thanks Brad, with the end of the shuttle program I'm sure that the folks at KSC will be trying to find some use for those xenon flood lights. They just might go for the hand shadows idea.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Justiceiro wrote: »
    Fantastic pics. I can't believe this is the last one.

Thanks and the whole Space Coast is in a state of shock over the end of the era.
    Harry
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2011
    Great pics, and thanks for sharing. You got one there I want in my Laboratory on the wall. I was there in December but didn't get to witness the launch :(

Thanks and let me know which one you want.
    Harry
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    Very cool, Harry, very cool! Great series of shots on the rollout, and I love the night launch photo! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2011
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Very nice Harry. I always wanted to see this, but you are right - its tough to plan on flying down there when so many get scrubbed.

The one just emerging from the building is exceptional. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Z, I've gone to a few launches and more than 50% were rescheduled from their original date. Its easy for a local for me but I've seen a lot of disappointed folks who came in from far away.
    Harry
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 5, 2011
    The rollout shots are neat, but the launch is awesome. I feel lucky when I get good seats to the opera, but that has to be the greatest show ever.
  • Options
    TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2011
    A truly memorable set.. I visited years and years ago when one of the shuttles was on the launch pad, unfortunately a small hurricane blew in the next day and scrubbed the launch :(
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    Very nice pics. I am always amazed at how the scale of the shuttle and the buildings is so missleading, even here. I remember a tour guide saying that you can drive a bus along one of the stripes on the American flag painted on the Vehicle Assembly Building, its that big. The second shot if you look carefully does show folks standing next to the shuttle on the crawler...amazing!

You can onl truly appreciate the scope of it when you are up close. The size of he VAB, the shuttle and the crawler is just amazing.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    Beautiful, Harry! Wish I could get there for the launch (if I could avoid melting)...

Thnaks Chris, if you handle the melting issues its a hell of a sight.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Splendid!

it sure was
    Harry
  • Options
    KeyWestPhotogKeyWestPhotog Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks and let me know which one you want.

Harry it would be this one
    D3S3586-s.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very cool, Harry, very cool! Great series of shots on the rollout, and I love the night launch photo! thumb.gif

Thanks Moose I was very, very lucky to get passes to both events.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The rollout shots are neat, but the launch is awesome. I feel lucky when I get good seats to the opera, but that has to be the greatest show ever.

Thanks Richard it is an incredible show. The scale of the shuttle is enormous and to be able to get close to it is an incredible experience. Fortunately after the Atlantis' last mission it will be returning to KSC and be on display there.
    Harry
  • Options
    Ty SheersTy Sheers Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2011
    Loved looking through these. Thank you for sharing - some of those are epic with the spot lights !!
  • Options
    theprincereturnstheprincereturns Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    Thanks for sharing. I definitly learned a few things by looking at the roll out shots (they usually don't make the headlines, but are pretty cool).
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2011
    Ty Sheers wrote: »
    Loved looking through these. Thank you for sharing - some of those are epic with the spot lights !!
    Thanks for sharing. I definitly learned a few things by looking at the roll out shots (they usually don't make the headlines, but are pretty cool).

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the images.
    Harry
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    So very cool!! I would have loved to have been there, but I really enjoyed your pictures!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    BingoboyBingoboy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Fabulous pictorial ! Noise handling of these cameras is mind-blowing.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Bingoboy wrote: »
    Fabulous pictorial ! Noise handling of these cameras is mind-blowing.

Thanks and to think it was just a few years ago where I never ventured over ISO 400.
    Harry