D7000 SD card Reformatting

MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
edited June 4, 2011 in Cameras
If you have the SD cards set up in backup mode,

does formatting one card format the other at the same time, or do you need to reformat both cards?

I have been just reformatting both cards, but was curious if anyone had played around with this.

Comments

• ShaneARShaneAR Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2011
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    If you have the SD cards set up in backup mode,

does formatting one card format the other at the same time, or do you need to reformat both cards?

I have been just reformatting both cards, but was curious if anyone had played around with this.

It will only format the slot that you select in the format menu. So, you do one and then repeat the process for the other. :)
  • MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    That's what I have been doing. I was hoping for a shortcut.

Thanks,
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    Suggest it to Nikon as a firmware update. (I already find it annoying too lol)

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    i have never format a card , since cards dont need it

i simply delete photo's after copiying them to my harddisk
    [ using cardreader , not camera <=> USB <=> computer ]
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    I take the cards out for transfer but I can't remember where I read about the difference between deleting the pics and formatting the card... you'd think they'd essentially be the same but... *scouring the web*

EDIT: Close enough: http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-cards/erasing-and-formatting-a-memory-card/

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I take the cards out for transfer but I can't remember where I read about the difference between deleting the pics and formatting the card... you'd think they'd essentially be the same but... *scouring the web*

EDIT: Close enough: http://www.digicamhelp.com/accessories/memory-cards/erasing-and-formatting-a-memory-card/
    Since I do workflow coaching from time to time, I've done quite a bit of testing when it comes to data recovery. I have found that usually, if you format a card in the camera you can recover 100% of the images using an ordinary recovery program, but you are NOT so lucky if you delete images individually. I dunno where the images go, but there's usually at least ONE image that seems to completely disappear when running recovery.
    basflt wrote: »
    i have never format a card , since cards dont need it

i simply delete photo's after copiying them to my harddisk
    [ using cardreader , not camera <=> USB <=> computer ]
    Therefore, I would HIGHLY recommend against this!

I don't want to say that you're truly incorrect and that cards "need" formatting, but I will say that simply deleting individual images, day after day and month after month, is a recipe for corruption. Maybe you don't shoot enough volume for it to be a problem in the lifespan of your memory cards or camera, but it DOES become a problem at some point.

I HIGHLY recommend, as often as possible, downloading the entire card and then formatting the entire card. This definitely the most "healthy" thing to do for your data... Maybe as a hobbyist it is cool to have a few of your favorite / recent images always on your camera, but take it from me- I used to do that and eventually I started getting corrupt images. Now I do a clean download and format every time, and shoot tens of thousands of images per month without corruption.

=Matt=

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum