Dof

ChaskyChasky Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited June 3, 2011 in People
I've been wanting to use speedlights in my portraits more often and have found myself lost as to how to get shallow depth of field while trying to knock down the ambient light.

I think the speedlights sync at 1/200 for the fastest shutter speed and when I try to use the lower f stops everything just gets over exposed.

So my question is - what would one be looking at for settings to knock out ambient, keep the subject well lit, and have shallow depth of field.

Below is a recent shot I took of a couple who wanted a photo done at their home with their three dogs. I used two speedlights, both at 1/4 power I believe at f11 and 1/60. Maybe my speedlights were powered too high? I like the image, but I wish it had that shallow depth of field (I think the guys pose needs some tweaking, but that's just my lack of judgement at the time). I went back to all natural light later just so I'd get my shallow DOF, but would love to make a shot like this work. Anyway... here it is...

i-9VLPMcr-M.jpg

... I think this photographer does an incredible job of utilizing lights and ambient, but I just don't understand how to get the DOF at this point. (I have a studio set of lights/backdrops as well and am having some of the same trouble with DOF)... http://www.focusunboundphotographers.com/#imagegalleries/Seniors/Senior%20Gallery/25

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For portraits, I have the D90, 18-105mm 3.5, 70-200mm 2.8, and a 50mm 1.8.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    When using Speedlights just use the high speed sync function. That way you can set the shutter speed fast enough to get a proper exposure at any aperture.

Sam
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    It looks to me that the photographer you cite is using a zoom lens. Have you tried using your 70/200mm at say 180mm?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    couple of options:

1) best is to use your high speed sync to get pas the 1/200s limit
    2) GND filter
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2011
    There are 2 basic items you are asking for.
    First is the shallow DOF. Longer focal lengths and wide apertures are key parts of great bokeh.
    Second is the lowering of ambient light. This is generally achieved with an over powering light source.
    These two items combined get to be tricky to achieve since they are competing in opposite directions.
    Wide aperture for shallow DOF and stopped down for over powering light source.

HSS can help if you can get the speedlight close enough to over power the ambient.

One of the popular methods is using ND filters and studio strobes.
    With a .9 ND on your lens you can then open the aperture enough to bring the DOF down.

Check out Phamster's photos.
    He uses this technique a lot and has mastered it.

I recently upgraded my strobes to Einsteins for additional power outside and have a variable ND filter on the way to begin experimenting with this technique.