Options

johno back from Katrina relief work

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited October 10, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hey everyone! Hope all is well with each of you. I have missed this community of people... I see Dgrin is growin and Andy has a new camera :D I would take the one you are trying to sell Andy, but I'm a youth pastor... Oh that I can save up for a Rebel XT :rofl

Anyhow, I hope a picture IS worth a thousand words. I don't think my images will do much for everyone here who has CNN or FOX News in their homes.

However, what my photos have that the others don't are real people who's lives are FOREVER changed. I have to say, it was hard taking pictures. I asked myself several times, "why are you taking pictures? This is horrible."

It was horrific... However, there is HOPE! If anyone would like to help volunteer, (believe me, there is work to do for the next 18 to 24 months) you can get plugged in with Hilltop Rescue and Relief.

http://www.hilltoprescue.org

Whenever you can get there, they will use you.

Well, I won't take up your time with stories... I know you came here to look at pictures, so here is my set of Katrina pictures. Try not to enjoy them. They come with a large price paid.

38944366-M.jpg
"America"

38944577-M.jpg
"Neverland"

38944908-M.jpg
"Looks like a hurricane"

38945903-M.jpg
"Lost Treasure"

38946627-M.jpg
"Not shot... Killed!"

38947217-M.jpg
"Pink"

This event has changed my life. Consider how it has changed yours and never forget.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    thanks for posting these
    thanks for doing service down there in the gulf
    glad your'e back
    peace
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Thank you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Hi Johno
    johno wrote:
    Hey everyone! Hope all is well with each of you. I have missed this community of people... I see Dgrin is growin and Andy has a new camera :D I would take the one you are trying to sell Andy, but I'm a youth pastor... Oh that I can save up for a Rebel XT rolleyes1.gif

Anyhow, I hope a picture IS worth a thousand words. I don't think my images will do much for everyone here who has CNN or FOX News in their homes.

However, what my photos have that the others don't are real people who's lives are FOREVER changed. I have to say, it was hard taking pictures. I asked myself several times, "why are you taking pictures? This is horrible."

It was horrific... However, there is HOPE! If anyone would like to help volunteer, (believe me, there is work to do for the next 18 to 24 months) you can get plugged in with Hilltop Rescue and Relief.

http://www.hilltoprescue.org

Whenever you can get there, they will use you.

Well, I won't take up your time with stories... I know you came here to look at pictures, so here is my set of Katrina pictures. Try not to enjoy them. They come with a large price paid.
    "America"
    "Neverland"
    "Looks like a hurricane"
    "Lost Treasure"
    "Not shot... Killed!"
    "Pink"
    This event has changed my life. Consider how it has changed yours and never forget.
    peace.
    johno~
    So many of us have no idea what it's like to suffer or be in real need.
    We in the Western world tend to be very materialistic, and we take it for granted that every day when we get up in the morning things will be fine.

Countries that are vulnerable to Natural Disasters, like Floods, Earth Quakes, Fires, Land Slides, Tornado's amaze me how they just get on with their lives.

America is hit so hard with Natural Disasters, as are other countries, but you are lucky that you have the resources to help, and the Medical Treatment available to quickly get in to help these people out, and people like you Johno who quickly jump to freely give of yourself , and bring hope.

Life's too short, and you have seen first hand how easily a life can be taken away and the devestation that is left behind.......may God continue to bless you and all those who give to help those in need.

I cannot begin to imagine what you have seen, while you have been helping out, it must be incredibly emotionally draining for you to see their pain.

Thank you for your story Johno, God Bless you....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Thanks Skip for the encouragment. You are correct about how much it takes out of you. I have been back for two weeks and this is the first day I have taken on the challenge of posting these pics.

Of the stories I will have for eternity, one comes from an older woman who said, "I have helped with relief work all over the world... I never thought I would be the one in need. Many people here have asked where is God?" She continued, "You are the hands of God and you are His feet." As tears broke she said, "You don't even know me... You don't know my daughter and you have left your families to help me. Thank you."

Ramona, though she lost everything but a small pile of "stuff", prayed for us and bless us. WOW!

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    I am blown away by you amazingly graphic shots. "Times they are a changin"
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    Thank you!
    Impressive work!
    Glad you're back!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited October 7, 2005
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Great but Sad Photo's
    Glad you made it back!
    Very sad pics indeed.
    The BIG GUY has a way of slapping us with a dose of reality.

Dunno which was more of a shock....the disaster or many of the people afterwards? Looting and such.

Times and the weather patterns are changing are we READY??
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Johnathan,

Your photos scream pain and anguish, as you must have felt there.
    Your words shout hope as you must have spread there.

God bless you!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    johno wrote:
    I don't think my images will do much for everyone here who has CNN or FOX News in their homes.

38945903-M.jpg
    "Lost Treasure"

No, Johnathan, your shots are a lot different that CNN and FOX news reports. So many of the reports I've seen from them are about them - about the news stations marketing themselves - not just reporting the news, but inserting themselves into and becoming the news. Not always but often!

Your shots are strong. They convey the feelings of sorrow and struggle felt by the victims and they convey the feelings of compassion that you feel. Like the best photojournalism shots, they do a lot more than just document the event. They cause one to reflect and consider his/her own viewpoint on the event. They move one to action.

Thank you for posting them.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Johno, good photos. After Hugo, we had to take photos for insurance reasons, or we did anyway. They are probably around and if I wanted to tear everything apart in the secretary behind me, I could probably find them. I think your photos are better, but bill took our photos, not me. I think.

I know that is what it looks like, and it smells worse, so I am not shocked.

But I did think, "that is where the dirt is". So, those of you who want to do the "dirty" challenge thing, a week of volunteering could get you lots of "dirty" photos.

Mine, unfortunately, are still just wet.

Thanks for sharing, Johno,
    hurricanes are horrendous, not worth the excitement many
    feel. They do! Newcomers secretly pine for a good hurricane,
    Huh, let them sit in traffic for a day or two. Or worse.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Thank You

And love the photos you brought back clap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2005
    Your shots are strong. They convey the feelings of sorrow and struggle felt by the victims and they convey the feelings of compassion that you feel. Like the best photojournalism shots, they do a lot more than just document the event. They cause one to reflect and consider his/her own viewpoint on the event. They move one to action.

Thank you for posting them.

15524779-Ti.gif

While difficult to view (and I'm sure difficult to take) photos like these may help inspire more people to get involved and start helping - if not down there maybe in their own towns.

Thanks for bringing these to us.
  • Options
    schik13schik13 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Moving...
    Wow, those pictures have real emotion attached to them. Even if you didn't know how damaging and powerful the situation that brought them about was, just the pictures alone can tell a very terrible story. I know it is hard to shoot stuff like that, but without images that have that much power, most people don't understand just how much of and effect something like Katrina can have on life. Great pictures... And I commend you on going down there to help.
    Schik 13