A sunset between storms

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited June 14, 2011 in Landscapes
We had a very unusual front come through Massachusetts on Wednesday evening (tornadoes in the western part of the state). I had intended to get some lightning shots but they weren't coming and the rain was. Just about gave up until I saw this sunset develop and ran out the door toward the harbor. Appreciate your thoughts.

i-Z8NJJRt-L.jpg

i-ht7WD9Z-L.jpg

i-W4ZvkqL-L.jpg

i-WRKWgT4-L.jpg

5 And the lightning shot
i-Sn7nS6R-L.jpg
By far the toughest lightning I have ever shot and the most amazing lightning show I have ever witnessed. The sky would explode with 5-7 bursts of light and then have 1-2 bursts for the next frame. This was the only image that came out okay.

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Hate to bump my own thread but do any of these work? Feel free to say no....
    I'm partial to the 4th shot. Greatly appreciate your input on any of them.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I like the 2nd one. Needs a slight angle readjustment for the waterline tho but I love the colors.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I like 2 and 4 the best, the colors and compositions are the strongest. However, with #4 and more so in #1, the boats are distractingly blue. They look more natural in 2 and 3.
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thank you both. I was leaning toward those two for an upcoming blog entry.
    Bryan - thanks for pointing out the color. Not sure why I didn't see it before but, after you mentioned it, I almost rubbed my eyes to get the blue out...
    Here's a re-do. I can't believe the sunset was really this color but, in retrospect, I think this was truer to what conditions were like

i-84GG4Pg-L.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Hey Eyal, I love the rework and think that's the winning shot. Amazing light and glad you were prepared for it. thumb.gif
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2011
    Agreed, wonderful rework.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Yes your redo is the best of the litter, love the setting and the balanced feel of this image too.
    edited June 14, 2011
    Thank you all. Appreciate the help in bringing out the best from this series.