Options

Working on DSS #78

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited June 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
..... Gas Light.

I posted an old shot for now in the gallery!

Current shots:
1)
IMGP8064-L.jpg

2)
IMGP8061-L.jpg

3)
IMGP8065-L.jpg

These were shot for Comp! I plane to shoot evening/night shots, too....

What do you think so far!

:D

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    Don, I'm assuming that you're going for "...at the end of the street." so #2 is probably the way that I would go if I was doing it. It shows more of the street. Once it is dark you might lose that though. I'm wondering at what time does the light come on in the evening. Maybe an evening shot with the light on and enough sunlight still left to be able to see the pavement. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    ~ Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2011
    KevXman wrote: »
    Don, I'm assuming that you're going for "...at the end of the street." so #2 is probably the way that I would go if I was doing it. It shows more of the street. Once it is dark you might lose that though. I'm wondering at what time does the light come on in the evening. Maybe an evening shot with the light on and enough sunlight still left to be able to see the pavement. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    ~ Kevin
    Kevin, thank you for looking a commenting. These are ancient gas lights (though well kept up), they are on all the time! No one to go around and light them each night! We actually have a number of streets in three areas of the city that still have them.

# 2 is my typical shot of this, as with the place holder.

p.s.
    More old images of gas lights at Lamps & Lanterns.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Last nights reshoot image:
    IMGP814849505152-L.jpg

Does this work?

Don
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Hmmm, I like the idea, but I'm not too keen on the processing. Seems HDR-ish with the halos around the trees.

I'm going to have to differ with Kevin on that I'd like to see a shot later in the evening, but I do like the framing in #2 (I like how the bottom of the lamp isn't cut off as in the newest shot). Maybe the camera a bit lower and a slightly wider angle? I'm also thinking that a smaller aperture and a longer exposure would help the street fade out from the light, but I have been going off a low-key kick recently.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    silversx80 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I like the idea, but I'm not too keen on the processing. Seems HDR-ish with the halos around the trees.

I'm going to have to differ with Kevin on that I'd like to see a shot later in the evening, but I do like the framing in #2 (I like how the bottom of the lamp isn't cut off as in the newest shot). Maybe the camera a bit lower and a slightly wider angle? I'm also thinking that a smaller aperture and a longer exposure would help the street fade out from the light, but I have been going off a low-key kick recently.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was working in the dark in the street (with occasional traffic) doing 5 shots for HDR. Will look at some individual images to maybe tome map lightly!

thumb.gif

Don
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I don't think you need HDR to make this work. And I think that it's actually kind of distracting with the halos. Have you tried a single long exposure?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    I don't think you need HDR to make this work. And I think that it's actually kind of distracting with the halos. Have you tried a single long exposure?
    As I mentioned in my last post, I will look at some of the individual shots for the HDRs and see what I can do with them, The include some long and short exposure images.

Will post again.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Don
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    Two alternate B&W takes on this scene:

1)
    IMGP8161-L.jpg

2)
    IMGP8163-L.jpg

C&C welcome,

Don
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I get the idea, but the B&Ws don't make me fieel it's at the end of the street....perhaps at the end of the day works.

In the first frame, the reflection on the car window is a bit distracting. I like the lampost itself in #2, but the rest of the image could be brightened. One nit for me... make the lampost vertical.

I like where you are going, but don't feel like you are there yet..... and i don't know exactly where 'there' is.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.